Paying for transplant oversees

I am wondering what is the best way (best conversion rate and lowest fees) to pay for a transplant if you have a US bank account and traveling to Belgium? I have already had to wire a deposit so I know how badly the bank will rip you off to convert the money.

Definitely easy to get ripped off as you say. I think I used a company called "onlinefx". or similar who offer a much better rate. They are UK based but I think they will be able to handle a US bank account. I'd suggest getting three quotes from similar online currency exchange companies. Also do a proper search on the best quote and make sure the company is legitimate, trading a while, and speak to them on the phone as well.

Thanks for the response. I will check that out. The only problem is that I do not know the exact cost of the transplant as I have only had an on-line consult. I have called my bank and was told that I cannot write a check in a different currency and that I should ask my clinic if they will accept a check in dollar amount as most international banks will accept it and covert it at the current exchange rate with no fee. I have e-mailed the clinic about this and await their response but I just wanted to see what my other options were as this is my first time having to do this. I know there are quite a few people who go to Belgium for transplants on this forum. Can anyone else chime in and tell me how they went about paying for their transplant?