Rogaine Results (not typical)

Joemomma

Hi all,

I have had some questions as to the effectiveness of Rogaine. I feel absolutely blessed that I had the response to it that I did and I found two (albeit bad) pics that show before and after.

The hair in the pictures is basically the same haircut, roughly one year apart. The first shows a very high degree of thinning and miniaturization of hairs. There was very little left on "hair island" in the middle. I never completely lost it but it was going, going and about to be gone.

I applied 5% foam twice a day on damp hair both times (most days) and I applied more than the suggested teatment of half a cap. I go through a bottle about 22 days, versus the 30 they suggest. You can do the math on how much more. My theory was that if it can cause unwanted hair to grow when it touches other skin, maybe it can make WANTED hair grow on my shiny head. As you can see it did work for me.

Now I understand what happened to me is not normal, nor should you expect that to happen. I just saw these two pics and REALLY can tell the difference. While I didn't exactly look 20 again, I had much more of a defined hairline, I was out this summer with much less concern of sunburn in a few minutes without a hat and a considerable measure of self confidence. The hair that is there as a result of Rogaine is thick and healthy and I have a ton more miniature hairs than I ever had before using it. The spot in the back, eh, its a little smaller.

Just got 2747 HT grafts done about 2.5 weeks ago, so the combination HOPEFULLY will get me some good looking hair! We shall see on that.

Just wanted to share the results. Obviously I am going to keep up Rogaine. It's not that expensive and it seems to be working! The results pic is from July, I have seen some density growth since then. Funny enough, although it is thin on top in my pre-op pics, it is AMAZING compared to what I had before!

Joe

june09notreatment.jpg.58f5c69c289c2b9df5d994c15b1b802c.jpg

10monthsrogaine.jpg.cf011ffe043644e1f35c1562c9ab8ba6.jpg

Joe,

Thank you for sharing your experience. While I'm not sure that applying more minoxidil had an additional effect (compared to the recommended amount), I am sure that it's a safe, proven preventive medication and that you made a wise decision using the product. I wish you the best of luck with future maturation of the recent hair transplant, and I hope you'll both update the community and continue stabilizing and thickening your native hair with the minoxidil!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Are you using Propecia/Proscar or Avodart? Minoxidil and a DHT blocker work together and compliment each other. In other words a 1+1=3 kinda thing lol. Glad to see you're having good results!

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D