does transplanted/non-native hair get shockloss?

I got my first procedure 10 years ago and the shock loss was significant. Some hair eventually grew back and blended with the hair that was transplanted, but the net result looked to the naked eye like I had the same amount of hair both before and after surgery.

MHR gave me a variety of reasons why this happened:

- "Oh, it'll grow back. Maybe".

- "That hair was going to fall out anyway"

- "You only lost the weak hairs".

I don't feel they were 100% honest about shock loss.

So...I want to get a second procedure in the next few months with a reputable surgeon. Much of the hair you see in my front third is transplanted hair, not native.

So my question is: is that hair just as likely to get shocked and disappear forever? Or because it's non-terminal transplanted hair, is it likely to grow back strong & healthy?

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »

• 2 weeks later...

Since the transplanted hair comes from the DHT resistant part of your scalp, you shouldn't get shockloss from those guys. Most people get shockloss in their vulnerable areas, especially if they are not on finasteride. Are you planning to use one of the Coalition members?

hair comes from the DHT resistant part of your scalp, you shouldn't get shockloss from those guys.

But the hairs wouldn't be vulnerable because of DHT. They'd be vulnerable because of transection and trauma to the scalp and circulation. But, I'd gather they'd grow back, whereas hair predisposed to disappearing because of DHT often does not. I'd guess 25-35% of hair I lost to shock loss I never regained.

And yes, I'm still deciding between NYC area doctors.

Jan 2000 - 600 FUT with Dr Kurgis (MHR)

Sept 2011 - 1411 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Jan 2013 - 1800 FUT with Dr Paul Shapiro

Sep 2014 - 1000 FUE with Dr Paul Shapiro

My Hairloss Blog »