The "Big Three" Diseases Associated With MPB.

Swimmy

The "Big Three" diseases associated with MPB are: heart disease, prostate cancer and diabetes [1] [2] [3].

Now, when I think of the human heart, I try and choose a hormone associated with a healthy, strong, "athletic" type heart...I instantly think of testosterone; the hormone that keeps you athletically inclined and physically active. Studies have shown that when LDL cholesterol is high, SHBG and testosterone are low [4] [5] [6]. Studies have also shown that vertex balding is a biological marker for atherosclerosis.

When I think of prostate enlargement, I think of estradiol, which is shown to play a huge role in the development of prostate enlargement (along with IGF-1). Estrogen also depresses testosterone and Human Growth Hormone, which can kill your physical endurance, personal confidence and sexual performance! Studies show that a high-fat/ meat-based diet increases estrogen (and possibly DHT) levels [7] [8 [9], contributes to body-fat which decreases insulin sensitivity [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] and also decreases SHBG and IGFBP’s (insulin-like-growth-factor-binding-proteins) [16] [17] [18] [19] which increases free-testosterone and free-IGF-1.

When I think of insulin resistance I think obviously of insulin and insulin-like growth factor 1. When levels of insulin and free-IGF-1 are high, SHBG and IGFBP’s are low and when that's low your hormones become unbalanced. "Free"IGF-1 has been shown to correlate with vertex balding [20] and studies show that dietary-protein particularly animal-protein stimulates free-IGF-1 [19] [21] [22].

Q. "Well, how do I "control" these hormones?"

A. "By avoiding the risks and causes of the three diseases, which are atherosclerosis, insulin resistance, and prostate enlargement.”

Dr. Neal Barnard, Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn and Dr. Dean Ornish have reversed both heart disease and diabetes using a low-fat/high-fiber carbohydrate based vegan diet. And Dr. Neal Barnard has shown that dairy consumption increases prostate enlargement.

[1] Association of benign prostatic hyperplasia with male pattern baldness.

[2] Male pattern baldness and coronary heart disease: the Physicians' Health Study.

[3] Androgenetic alopecia and insulin resistance in young men.

[4] Relationship between Serum Levels of Sex Hormones and Progression of Subclinical Atherosclerosis in Postmenopausal Women.

[5] Low sex hormone-binding globulin is associated with low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and metabolic syndrome in women with PCOS.

[6] Interrelations between sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG), plasma lipoproteins and cardiovascular risk.

[7] Effect of a low-fat diet on hormone levels in women with cystic breast disease.

[8] Effect of low-fat diet on female sex hormone levels.

[9] Effect of diet on the plasma levels, metabolism and excretion of estrogens.

[10] Diet and obesity.

[11] High-fat diet, muscular lipotoxicity and insulin resistance.

[12] Low-saturated fat dietary counseling starting in infancy improves insulin sensitivity in 9-year-old healthy children.

[13] Substituting dietary saturated for monounsaturated fat impairs insulin sensitivity in healthy men and women.

[14] Dietary fat, insulin sensitivity and the metabolic syndrome.

[15] Vegetarian and vegan diets in type 2 diabetes management.

[16] Dietary correlates of plasma insulin-like growth factor I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 concentrations.

[17] Determinants of circulating insulin-like growth factor I and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3 concentrations in a cohort of Singapore men and women.

[18] The influence of dietary intake on the insulin–like growth factor (IGF) system across three ethnic groups: a population–based study.

[19] The associations of diet with serum insulin–like growth factor I and its main binding proteins in 292 women meat–eaters, vegetarians, and vegans.

[20] Vertex balding, plasma insulin-like growth factor 1, and insulin-like growth factor binding protein 3.

[21] Relationship of Dietary Protein and Soy Isoflavones to Serum IGF-1 and IGF Binding Proteins in the Prostate Cancer Lifestyle Trial.

[22] Long-term effects of calorie or protein restriction on serum IGF-1 and IGFBP-3 concentration in humans.

Informative. But I don't agree with a vegan diet.

Informative. But I don't agree with a vegan diet.

You don't agree with it? My taste buds don't agree with it, but a well-planned vegan diet with tons of fruits & vegetables, whole grains and legumes for good health is hard to argue with. Of course exercise has to be thrown into the equation, but diet is at least 50% of it.

also its info on shbg and igf1 is very standardised and it can not be generalised to an individual at any one time,

as hormones in any one person change and become unbalanced from day to day and months to month....

its how the body works.....

and sex hormone binding globulin often increases and decreases along with the testosterone and oestrogen ratio...

for example....

you could have low total testosterone,low shbg and large numbers of free test and oestrogens and estradol.....

which would be ok and indicate,normal bodily functions... and hormonal shifts due to the body creating homeo stasis, the hormonal workings are very very complex. and should be given the upmost respect and not taken to far out of balance as it can very hard to get the axis correct if you dont know what is happening...

and some of the issues spoken about are very similar to long term finest sides in respect to ratios getting out of line for long term.

You don't agree with it? My taste buds don't agree with it, but a well-planned vegan diet with tons of fruits & vegetables, whole grains and legumes for good health is hard to argue with. Of course exercise has to be thrown into the equation, but diet is at least 50% of it.

A whole vegan diet isn't healthy...You need meat unless you are planning to supplement what you are not getting in that area. If you are suffering from MPB then you should absolutely be avoiding grains such as wheat and legumes.

Fruit is overrated. Unless your ancestry regularly ate it. In other words it depends on your metabolic type if you should be eating fruit..Regardless it should be eaten in moderation. Not a whole bunch. But if you eat fruit eat it with a fiber-rich raw vegetable to offset the rise in bloodugar.

• 2 weeks later...
A whole vegan diet isn't healthy...You need meat unless you are planning to supplement what you are not getting in that area. If you are suffering from MPB then you should absolutely be avoiding grains such as wheat and legumes.

Fruit is overrated. Unless your ancestry regularly ate it. In other words it depends on your metabolic type if you should be eating fruit..Regardless it should be eaten in moderation. Not a whole bunch. But if you eat fruit eat it with a fiber-rich raw vegetable to offset the rise in bloodugar.

A lot of what you're saying is either anecdotal, unproven, or purely an opinion. I'm not going to bother sorting out what is what other than to state the following.

A vegan diet properly planned (which I carefully stated) IS healthy. The key is properly planned. It tends to have more fiber, phytochemicals, and antioxidants. There's a strong correlation between those things and wellness.

A human being in 2010 does not "need" meat. A properly planned vegan diet can provide everything a person needs to be healthy (except for vitamin B12, which is readily provided in a lot of fortified foods and in multivitamins) without dietary supplements. This isn't even a point of contention between most nutritionists as long as measures are taken to ensure the vegan diet is balanced and planned to ensure for enough amino acids.

A lot of what you're saying is either anecdotal, unproven, or purely an opinion. I'm not going to bother sorting out what is what other than to state the following.

A vegan diet properly planned (which I carefully stated) IS healthy. The key is properly planned. It tends to have more fiber, phytochemicals, and antioxidants. There's a strong correlation between those things and wellness.

A human being in 2010 does not "need" meat. A properly planned vegan diet can provide everything a person needs to be healthy (except for vitamin B12, which is readily provided in a lot of fortified foods and in multivitamins) without dietary supplements. This isn't even a point of contention between most nutritionists as long as measures are taken to ensure the vegan diet is balanced and planned to ensure for enough amino acids.

I'm not gonna get into all of it. But its asinine if you actually think vegan diets are 100% healthy.

But like I said for a vegan diet to work you need to supplement ALOT.

Low in omegas 3s, Iron, L-Taurine, Zinc, B12. It can also lead to a copper-zinc imbalance .

Its extremely unhealthy for pregnant women and developing Children. It has its benefit. But it cant completely replace meat let alone achieve the satiety that meat has on people.