Washing your hair

Telepinu

I was wondering, how do you guys wash your hair since you began losing it? I am afraid to be ruff with my top in the shower I am afraid to lose extra hairs. This often means I dont really rub my scalp at the top in the same ruff way as I do with my sides. Neither am I as ruff with my top while using a towel, instead opting to use a hair dryer.

Should I be so careful? What do you guys do?

Telepinu,

Aggressive shampooing really won't cause long-term hair loss; however, being too rough might disturb the regular cycle of your hair by causing premature breakage. If you're losing on top, snapping off healthy hairs could exacerbate the appearance of thinning.

Using a blow dryer after showering is fine provided it's on a low-medium setting and your hair has been lightly towel-dried. A hot setting, especially on wet hair is not advisable. Again, this won't result in permanent hair loss, but you're going to want to keep what you have in the best condition possible since miniaturized hairs will be going down the drain as well (and not always returning).

Even in non-balding men and women, gentle hair washing is still beneficial. Dead skin cells that accumulate on your scalp can turn into dandruff if you're not using enough pressure, though. But in general, washing your hair shouldn't be something to worry about or dwell on too much.

Best,

Anthony (youngsuccess)

-------

All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my My Hair Loss Website

If you use common sense than most likely you will not cause any harm. Cleaning is good, excessive scrubbing is not necessary. Hair washing does not cause hair loss. Pulling on the hairs direcly can cause damage and excellerate genetic loss.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Dr. Charles. A little hygiene does most folks some good...

Unless one has really dry skin, a daily shower and drying won't likely help or hurt your hair. If one has really dry skin, showering every other day may help limit dryness...but I personally would shower daily with neutrogena t-gel; that seems to cure my dry scalp.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

Tremblant

I haven't heard anything of that nature. But, T gel has tar in it...mainly to address exfoliation issues associated with psoriasis and seb. dermatitis...which a lot of folks have in a very mild form.

Used properly and with common sense, meaning don't leave it (or any hair product) dry on your scalp for days on end, there should be no issues of long term health risks.

For people with severe psoriasis, applying tar itself to the affected areas, and indeed leaving it on rather than washing it off, has been a highly effective treatment for decades.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

One thing I have found is that if you have very dry hair caused by hair dye, use a jug with lukewarm water over the sink rather than the shower to wash your hair.. The hair retains a lot more moisture I find..