Taking finax in Bell's palsy (facial Paralysis)

sameer_0569

Hello,

Kindly suggest to take finax in bells palsy or not.

Actually, I stopped taking finax & applying minoxidil since may 2010 because I was infected with bells palsy (facial paralysis) for the second time after 4 years, now it has almost recovered only 10% is remaining so, kindly let me know can i start taking finax again in this condition or wait until I recover completely, actually I'm worried because since the day I stopped finax the hair fall started again.

I took finax from april 2009 to may 2010 without any HT until now.

Thanks and Regards,

Sam.

Edited by sameer_0569
Didn't add e-mail address notification

Sameer,

Although I cannot personally find any connections between finasteride and bell's palsy, I highly recommend thoroughly discussing this issue with a physician before beginning a new drug regiment.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hi!

I've consulted a physician and he said me this : Pls dont continue Finax as it might spoil your whole life. It is still not proven whether it can have direct neurological effect. may be it is the cause for your problem as for your age there are less chances to get Bells palsy.Anyways since you are a bachleor pls dont spoil your future life as it has been proven to cause sexual problems.

Please do suggest on this.

Hi!

I've consulted a physician and he said me this : Pls dont continue Finax as it might spoil your whole life. It is still not proven whether it can have direct neurological effect. may be it is the cause for your problem as for your age there are less chances to get Bells palsy.Anyways since you are a bachleor pls dont spoil your future life as it has been proven to cause sexual problems.

The side effects are so blown out of proportion. Your doctor must read the anti Finasteride blogs on the web.

Side effects are EXTREMELY LOW, and usually if you do get any mild side effects they subside within 6 months.

Finasteride 1.25 mg. daily

Avodart 0.5 mg. daily

Spironolactone 50 mg twice daily

5 mg. oral Minoxidil twice daily

Biotin 1000 mcg daily

Multi Vitamin daily

Damn, with all the stuff you put in your hair are you like a negative NW1? :D

Hi!

Sameer,

I find this a bit hard to believe. Less than 3% of individuals utilizing finasteride (Propecia) reported any type of sexual side effects, and all these issues subsided after stopping the medication. Personally, I cannot find any information on neurological issues and finasteride, but I may utilize some scientific/medical databases later to see if a proper study was ever conducted. Until this time, I don't think it's accurate to say it's proven to cause sexual problems or 'ruins futures.'

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Hello Blake,

Thanks for such a valuable response. Actually I'm worrying alot due to the hair loss which started again even after controlling it by finax for more than a year.

But, one of my friend said the hair loss might be also due to the side effect of the medicines which I took for bell's palsy and those hair will come back again.

Well kindly suggest me that, can I start taking finax again and how long I've to use it even after the marriage.

Thanks and Regards,

Sameer.

• 2 weeks later...

Sameer,

I'm uncertain which drugs you are taking for the Bell's palsy, meaning I could not even begin to guess whether or not hair loss is a potential side effect. Furthermore, if it was in your position, I would discuss the situation with a personal physician. It's difficult to say whether or not should start another prescription medication while on the Bell's palsy medication. Are you able to consult with the prescribing physician and ask his opinion? I can definitely guide you toward some excellent hair loss treatments, but I think it would be wise to clear the entire situation with your doctor first!

• 4 months later...

Hello Guys,

I started taking finax 1mg since last four months and applying toppik powder to cover my thin hair and still my hair fall is not yet controlled completely.

Kindly suggest what to be done as I'm worrying alot.

I await your response.

Best Regards.

sameer_0569,

To begin with, I would suggest continuing to use the drug for at least 6 months. You may still be experiencing initial shedding. It can take up to a year to fully realize the effects.

Taking Propecia (finasteride) daily Is arguably the single best hair loss treatment available today. Many experts believe that using Rogaine (minoxidil) in combination with finasteride enhances the effects of both drugs. In other words, they work synergistically.

Adding Nizoral Shampoo to this regimen three times per week may provide an added boost due to the active ingredient ketoconazole. The combination has come to be known as the "big three".

Best of luck!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website