400 grafts impact on hairline,temples

powerplay

The consensus I have received so far seems to be 300 to 400 grafts. My loss is receding temples and a wider V shape(power alleys). I don't expect to return to perfect hairline,or have real thick density, just some decent coverage. How much surface area are we talking about with 400 grafts? Thanks.

The consensus I have received so far seems to be 300 to 400 grafts. My loss is receding temples and a wider V shape(power alleys). I don't expect to return to perfect hairline,or have real thick density, just some decent coverage. How much surface area are we talking about with 400 grafts? Thanks.

Hi Powerplay,

The average natural surface density equates to approximately 80 hairs per cm2. The average graft carries 2.15 hairs within it. 400 X 2.15 = 860 hairs. Then divide 860 by 50 and you will get 17.2 cm2 of coverage on a bald surface area. I used the number 50 for two reasons. The first is that you only need to restore half of original density to gain the illusion of coverage, so you won't need 80 hairs per cm2. The second reason is that whenever working the hairline where there is no natural hair left, a fair amount of single hair grafts will be used or better yet, should be used. That will bring down the average hair per graft.

Keep in mind, these numbers are for the "average" patient so your own density and hair characteristics like coarseness may vary. Best wishes to you. icon_smile.gif

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 10 months later...