Donor site , side of head or back

Hello

I assumed the donor area would always be in the back of the head but I have noticed some Dr's taking the donor area from the side of the head , what are the Pros and cons

- I assume the side is choosen if this is the 2nd , 3rd procedure and the indivdual us running out of donor area in the back

What area would you prefer for the donor area the sides of the head or the back of the head and why

Johnny,

Typically the donor area extends from in front of the ears and around the back. Hair restoration surgeons will determine the length and width of the strip based on several factors including the number of grafts you require, the density of your hair in the donor area and the laxity of your scalp.

Strips can be wider and shorter or longer and narrower.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

With larger cases it is common to extend the donor strip into the side regions. Most hair restoration physicains would prefer to make the donor wound longer while keeping it narrow to minimize the tension needed to close the wound. Less tension leads to smaller scars.