Hair Transplants Can Kill Mature Hairs In Recipient Area

The title is more a question than a statement. I've done a lot of research and cannot seem to find a definite answer to this question. Does anybody have a feasible answer? Now, of course, this applies mainly to someone who has hair in the recipient area and is not completely bald. I've had three transplants to date and am not looking forward to losing what I've gained. Am I stuck with the thinness I have (since I'm using Propecia and Rogaine and have stopped my hairloss)? I was told that I should wait for it to thin out more. I've had THREE transplants: 4600 grafts. I'm pretty sure there isn't any more that will fall out. Don't forget about my Propecia and Rogaine that is working! So here are some pics. Should I go for a fourth one or just stop here so close to the end?

5b32ca4c67452_frontnoface.jpg.6129037b9923bfd4e25919a253a8c318.jpg

5b32ca4c76f4d_sideedited.jpg.347d410c3fcebc751e4fc54654da2bc5.jpg

5b32ca4c8bb49_topcropped.jpg.050313bf8521c3dd94b401249ccb7e07.jpg

5b32ca4c98a52_topfrombackcropped.jpg.84feed52ea977a1481b20beefcbcbb9f.jpg

sullirock,

Hair restoration and goals are a very personal thing but, in my opinion, your hair looks very good right now. I don't think I'd pursue another procedure at this point.

A hair transplant can kill existing hairs if the surgeon accidentally transects (cuts through) them wen making incisions. This is extremely rare in the hands of a skilled and experienced hair restoration physician.

All the best,

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Thanks for you honest input. I'm gonna put some more pictures up of when my hair was shorter (a few months ago) and when it was wet as well. In the previous pictures, my hair is longer. Check them out and tell me what you think. I'm certainly leaning towards another HT because of the pictures of my hair being wet. I just want a good doc with a steady hand a good eye. Dr Madhu seems to know his stuff.

BTW, the pictures in my previous post don't do a good job showing the thinness. I tried my hardest :D

5b32ca4caafb4_Frontwet.jpg.2888cef2563fb4d89397f4e4434dfeea.jpg

5b32ca4cccc42_Backwet.jpg.44d80168514e7ef500b77e3c77f9af07.jpg

rock, u had 3 procedures before of total 4.6k grafts? IMHO, i thought u should have thicker hair, unless u were a NW6 or 7 to begin with.

Did u have your previous HT with any recommended dr here?

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

The pics at the initial posting look pretty good to me. PERFECTION IS THE ENEMY OF GOOD. I'd suggest holding tight and see what the future has in store for you. You may have good luck and genes and be done losing....or you may have bad luck and bad genes and lose a bunch more. In that case, you'd want to hold onto the donor you have for a later, more cosmetically noticable, procedure.

Dr. Lindsey McLean VA

William H. Lindsey, MD, FACS

McLean, VA

Dr. William Lindsey is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

wb280, yeah I was thinking the same thing. maybe my doc (not a recommended doc) was killing or damaging existing hairs. I wish I had known about this forum back in '06. I wasn't completely bald either but I also didn't use propecia consistently. So many variables. I'm gonna try to snag my progress pics from my doc dating back to the first HT.

Dr Lindsey, I appreciate the consultation we had on Monday. I understand your concerns. By memory and guess, what would you say my grafts/cm2 would be? Also, how many useable grafts would you guess I have available?