I'm confused now. Brand name vs generic?

RE001

What do I tell my doctor to be able to get Finasteride?

What's the difference between brand name vs generic?

The official name is Propecia right? and on the bottle it says Finasteride underneath? After doing a little research I'm getting all these other crazy names.

Finasteride is the main ingredient featured in Propecia. There are other brands like Proscar among others. Same thing goes to Minoxidil. I am using Regaine, and there are so many other brands available but the main ingredient is Minoxidil

View my hair loss website. Surgery done by Doc Pathomvanich from Bangkok http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1730

Finasteride is the main ingredient featured in Propecia. There are other brands like Proscar among others. Same thing goes to Minoxidil. I am using Regaine, and there are so many other brands available but the main ingredient is Minoxidil

Slight correction: propecia and proscar are both brand names given to the original finasteride drug produced by pharmaceutical company Merck. There are generic finasteride products but they don't use either propecia or proscar brand names. These include Fincar, which is produced by Cipla.

I use a generic finasteride produced by Pfizer. As Pfizer are themselves a large pharmaceuticals company I feel that I must be getting a quality product.

I am a patient and representative of Dr Rahal.

My FUE Procedure With Dr Rahal - Awesome Hairline Result

I can be contacted for advice: matt@rahalhairline.com

wb280,

Propecia contains 1mg finasteride and Proscar contains 5mg. Those of us who take generic Proscar cut the pill in fourths and end up with 1.25mg. This comes at a significant discount over Propecia.

Currently in the US, Propecia is not available in generic form. A one month supply typically costs about $60. I pay around $60 for a year's supply of generic finasteride after splitting the pills.

Hope this helps!

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website

Joe,

I hear ya! Without generic, I don't think finasteride would be in my budget. I can't wait for the day that we can get reasonably priced generic Propecia and dispense with the cutting.

David - Former Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant

I am not a medical professional. All opinions are my own and my advice should not constitute as medical advice.

View my Hair Loss Website