Shedding after 11 days

I just had a HT on July 21st and I am pretty sure hair shafts are beginning to fall out just after 11 days post-op. Is this too soon? I was told i can lightly rub the recipient area at this time and many hair shafts are coming out. Is this okay/normal?

J4R3D,

It's my understanding that the grafts naturally begin shedding between weeks 2 and 4 (day 14) so seeing shedding on day 11 does not seem too out of the ordinary (to me at least). Remember that the grafts are securely anchored between days 7 and 10, and as long as you don't see any bleeding when the grafts shed, you should be fine. I hope this helps!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I had my surgery the day before yours and I have already started shedding too. I feel like I've lost a lot of the transplanted hairs on the right side of my head, which crusted earlier than the left side. The crusts are mostly gone at this point and a lot of them had hairs sticking out of them, which I understand to be normal. I've also had a bunch of regular hairs shed too. So, I'm going with the fact that it's okay!

Yeah, I think I am fine. It is just the hair shafts coming out and I do not see any follicles. No bleeding so I think I am fine. Some of the new hairs just fall right out when I rub my head, but no irritation. Not really worried, but I also think they are shedding quicker than normal because I am using minoxidil. So maybe my new hairs will start to go faster :)

• 8 months later...

Im going through the same thing Im just about 11-12 days since the HR op and today is the first day my scalp started to flake really bad and non transplanted hair started to shed. ( scary)

The transplanted hair mostly has remained and even grew a little. but he itchyness and flaking is making me want to pick and scratch my scalp terribly. I have had no bleeding or reddness at all.

I have followed all post op instuctions from my Dr. and have been using baby shampoo just gentily using my finger tips and drying by patting with paper towels.

Do you have any suggestions on how to reduce the flaking should I shampoo a little moore vigerously to remove the flakes ? change shampoos to maybe like Nizerol..

Or pehaps a conditoner for the scalp.. I have herd people mentiom EMU oil any thoughts on that? What about shock shedding is there a way to keep that to a minimul?

Im nervous the front of my hair will look worse than pre op... does the hair grow back or lost forever?

This is my first HT and I have my heart in my throat that I made the righ decision so I apologize for all the questions and if I come off nervouss.. But to be quit honest I am ...

Thank you for any suggestions and just for reading my distress....lol

hi i am from india and i am 21 year old student, my hair loss start 2 year ago,before that my hair density is highest among my friend, i tried lot to stop that ,but still going on, i contact some doctor for transplant but they treat me as a customer inspite of as a patient, one doctor told me a lot number of grafts but another doctor made that doctor wrong and invite me choose him.but doctor doesnt take any promise to solve my problem , some doctor told me the hair which grow after transplant they not look like natural and if any graft get fail to grow ,then one small pore will be stay on ur scalp. some users post on the yahoo answer like they attanded thrice time transplant but they still look bald means the doctor who did that play with that guy. and he got stretches on his scalp he forcely told to all the users that surgical HAIR TRANSPLANT is not to good to use because-

expensive specially for unemployed students

no gureented for good result

spoiled promises from doctor and we do not claim for that

it not looks like natural ,the hair grow straight and most important things people not sure about the number of grafts

i written these because i am going to take surgical transplant in next month,, please suggest me good surgen which is affordable for me ,,i heared about dr. mahadevia they charge 25 INR for per graft but it too far from me ,,,, i am looking for in NEW DELHI OR NCR REGION which will be more convient for me.

pls help me as soon as u can