It has been about 2 months since I had a FUE surgery where I had about 500 grafts placed into my frontal hairline as well as about 250 placed into an existing strip surgery scar. Within the last week or two all th hair that was transplanted in the frontal area has fallen out (which I know is normal) but the the existing hair from before the transplant has also fallen out and I am very concerned. Is this normal? It looks very bad because it is very obvious the area where the hair was transplanted into because it is completely balled now!

Also, the frontal area is still slightly red. Is this normal?

Lastly, the scar from a previous surgery where I had about 250 grafts transplanted is still very tight. Is this normal?

I have contacted my doctor and he should be getting back to me soon, but I wanted to get other experts take on the situation.

Thanks!

I would like to reassure you that what you are experiencing is very normal. It is not uncommon to shed the transplanted hair as well as your existing hair. This is referred to as "shock loss" and typically occurs right around the timeframe you are describing.

If it is any consolation, I am at just over three months post-op and like you, have had shock loss so I look worse now than I did before the surgery. This can be quite disconcerting if you aren't expecting it, but I was made aware of the likelihood of it happening; it still doesn't make it any easier to style my hair though! I have to be patient.

On a related note, it is my understanding that shock loss is likely to be permanent on hairs that were miniaturizing and eventually going to be lost anyway, and is temporary in hairs that are still of "normal" caliber. If you had a large number of miniaturized hairs in the transplanted area, they are likely gone for good, but if they were "normal", then the shedding s temporary and it will take 6 months or so before you will see it growing again.

It sounds like your surgeon did not make you aware of the possibility of shock loss? If that is the case, I think it is unfortunate since part of what a surgeon should be doing is sharing with you what to expect.

Hang in there (I know it's hard!), and try not to stare at your head every second you get. What I would also suggest is to take pictures in consistent ambient conditions every 2-4 weeks so that you can see your progress. It's not always easy to tell since you look at your hair everyday. Often it isn't until we compare earlier pictures from weeks or months prior that we realize how much really is happening with the growth.

Happy growing! :)