Hair sleep stage

Hi guys,

I was wondering , How long is the shock/sleep stage of hairs after HT ? Is is the 3-4 months that we say it takes for the hair to grow ?

When we say sleep/shock stage does that apply for even the existing hairs ?? I mean does even your existing hair that sufffers the shock loss , doesnt grow for 3-4 months??

Hi guys,

I was wondering , How long is the shock/sleep stage of hairs after HT ? Is is the 3-4 months that we say it takes for the hair to grow ?

When we say sleep/shock stage does that apply for even the existing hairs ?? I mean does even your existing hair that sufffers the shock loss , doesnt grow for 3-4 months??

For the transplanted hair, there is the dormant phase that you referred to, which lasts an average of 10-12 weeks.

For the pre-existing hair in the recipient area (where the grafts are placed), there is no dormant phase. The pre-existing hair should continue to grow. However, that hair may sometimes be affected by "shock loss" or shock fallout. Depending on how strong or weak that pre-existing hair is, sometimes the surgery can cause temporary or permanent loss of hair. Not every patient has this problem, it depends on the person and many factors, and it is not something that is even completely undersood. But if you have a lot of 'at-risk' hair, a hair transplant may cause some of that hair to be lost. The worst case scenario would be that you have a small number of grafts added, but lose a lot of existing hair due to shock loss, causing a "net loss" of hair... you end up with less hair after the surgery.

Shock loss is sort of a big topic, with several "ifs, and's and but's" so it's something that novices should investigate and consider as a potential factor.

One thing that seems to help (besides picking a top doctor) is to have a strong prevention and maintenance routine, that has stopped your hairloss from progressing, well before getting any surgery.