Finpecia Thoughts

wilkinte

Howdy:

Been on propecia since the early days (98/99), got gynomasticosis (sp) from it and had lump removed in 2000. Seemed to work pretty well

Anyways, started buying Finpecia from PropeciaPharmacy online about 2 years ago.

Getting noticably thinner all over. Especially last 8 months - 1 year. Getting ready to switch back to propecia and I hope not too many follicles died over the time.

Anyone else have issues like this? Does the finesteride drug just stop working over 10-12 years, or could it be that what I bought (the finpecia) is just a sugar pill.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

Wilkinte,

From my understanding, Finpecia is a generic version of Propecia that avoids patent laws by manufacturing in India. If the pill is legitimate, it should contain the exact same active hair loss ingredient as Propecia - finasteride. However, it's feasible that the pill was a placebo (especially if you didn't experience the finasteride side-effects a second time) and led to progressive loss.

The subject of Propecia/finasteride ceasing to work after using the product for a number of years (10-12) is a bit trickier. Technically, the biochemical mechanism of the drug (how it fights hair loss) does not "stop working." It still behaves the same way in your body. However, there are cases where the battle between your genetics (strength of your hair loss) and the drug becomes intense and your genes win out.

So, is legitimate Finpecia (finasteride) a "sugar pill?" No. It is possible that your source for the drug (especially if it was an online store) sold a lesser version? Yes. Additionally, does finasteride "stop working?" No. However, the fight between your genes and the drug is tough, and there are cases where your genetic proclivity toward baldness can win out.

Personally, I would consult with a dermatologist or recommended hair transplant surgeon before beginning a new Propecia regimen. I think it may be wise to discuss your prior operation and reaction to finasteride/Propecia during the initial cycle and see if they recommend any different treatments. Good luck, and please keep us updated.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.