Problems with Finasteride

Hafeez

Hi guys,

I am 26 yrs old and i am suffering from MPB from the past 5 years. I have been using minoxidil from the past 3 yrs and finasteride past 1 year. As of now my hair loss is under control and i can see small hairs growing on the vertex.

My problem is that the finasteride has affected my sexual health.This year i will be getting married i really confused whether to continue with the drug or discontinue. If not are there any drugs by which i can reverse the effects of finasteride.

I strongly feel that the finasteride has stopped my hair loss and i do not want to be bald.

Guys tell me how to deal with this? :confused:

Edited by Future_HT_Doc
removed inappropriate content

I am in the same boat Hafeez and i posed the same question some time back in this forum. Unfortunately there were no good responses and i did some further research, spoke to my GP etc. First of all, my GP said he could prescribe some Eryctyle disfuction pills and that would take care of the errection. Another doctor i saw also said that they could give me a hormonal injection that could change the flow of finasteride and not cause sexual side effects. Second thought sounds a little complex because i am scared to play around with my hormones. I am a little reluctant to go on pills because i dont want my body to get used to it. beleive it or not human mind can play some amazing games...like you, propecia also works for me and i dont want to be bald.....i am not having sex with anybody these days and am scared to think how i would perform...but i am seeing a girls these days and i beleive we could be in bed pretty soon....i guess that night would answer my question...and then i might give the pills a shot or stop taking propecia....Good luck buddy and keep me posted...

Hafeez,

Making an appointment and discussing the issue with your doctor is a very good idea. From what I understand, most hair restoration physicians state that only a small number of individuals experience sexual side effects from Propecia, and stopping the drug usually reverses the problem. Hopefully, you can discontinue Propecia and still maintain hair through minoxidil usage. Also, here is a post from our Hair Loss Q & A Blog that discusses Propecia side effects and may help with your current situation. Good luck, and feel free to ask any additional questions.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Daniel,

Sorry of the delayed response. My doctor has prescribed some Eryctyle dysfuction pills and advised me not to continue with finax. Well i haven't discontinued but i have reduced the dosage to 0.5 mg and i can feel somewhat ok now.