Need some advice on who to get hair transplant with?... Pics attached

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on what I should do. Here's a quick overview of my story:

I am currently 26 years old. I went for a consultation with the good ole folks of MHR at the age of 20 and before I even realized what happened, I was suckered into a hair transplant a month later. The hair transplant unquestionably made me worse off. I had what MHR told me was 1060 grafts. To this day I still believe that their procedure destroyed a lot of my healthy hair due to their negligence (i.e. transection of existing healthy follicles). I had a good amount of permanent shock loss because the doctor went so high up and into my existing healthy hair.

Needless to say, I have become very, very educated with hair loss after the MHR procedure. I have been doing my due dilligence with my research in numerous hair loss forums for the past 5 years. I also took this time to see how my hair has been to ensure that I did not jump any gun with a 2nd procedure. With that said, my research has concluded and I have a couple doctors that I feel confident and comfortable with to help me regain the confidence I have lost.

I've been on propecia (proscar cut in fifths) for about 5 years now and from my observations during this time, my hair loss has been completely stable. I have not see any visible difference. As I have educated myself with hair transplants, I have learned about the reality of the procedure and the expectations that should come from it. For that reason I understand the planning that is needed for any potential future loss. This is why I am not expecting to lower my hairline to a juvenile hairline or anything like that. I really would just like to rebuild my hairline so that I have something substantial that I can style. Additionally, I'd love to try and reduce this scar I have on the back of my head (Measured to be 5mm wide at the widest points)

Attached are my pictures. Please make special note of the loss of hair on my right side that goes particularly far up my head compared to the left side. I am not sure if my pictures do it the justice it deserves. This is the most troublesome area for me and what I am most self-conscious about. It is very very see-through in normal lighting. My hairline itself has lost its strength and does not look good when trying to style it.

Now onto the consultations. I sent my pictures and case to a few doctors that I totally trust with my head and here's what their responses were:

Dr. Feller - 1500/2000 session via strip. Approx outline - rebuild hairline zone at appropriate density (depending on goal and hair characteristics) and also fill in and thicken up the entire frontal zones accordingly

Dr. Rahal - approximately 2000 grafts to re-build hairline zone

Dr. Hasson -about 2500 grafts will be necessary to camouflage the previous work and to add a much higher amount of refinement and density. The lack of balance that you refer to in the temples should be alleviated but this may also drive the estimate up but itshouldn't be more than 3000 in total but the final estimate will be solidified once you arrive for your pre-operative consultation. You appear to have higher than average density in your donor area and your crown appears very strong so overall you appear to be a good candidate.

Dr. Ron Shapiro - 1200-1500 in the two corner sections should suffice. Then, if you want to address the frontal center zone, you can use approx 500 grafts so the total you’d likely need is 1800-2000.

347.jpg.231151d13a9aaed80a17df5445097699.jpg

349.jpg.0236ae1eb53db375e531412e224a9954.jpg

352.jpg.1b792a9677da7b25e2c17633770ec447.jpg

355.jpg.245d54bc12aa98da03e56ae7c41ba5ba.jpg

361.jpg.3293ad12cff4413b799f4e07ba29b1a6.jpg

396.jpg.d7fd589f86ef95d29cd6e5d8d33ff7ce.jpg

413.jpg.ddd67a2ba5d98a2a816855d9acfa1d9a.jpg

428.jpg.e4b6d9d39d15167189241260172fbbbe.jpg

462.jpg.947385c6b10067485ba103b9b9184be1.jpg

Edited by hairlossguy222

Personally, I'd go with Dr. Feller or at least one of the lower estimates. Get the scar addressed and hopefully you'll be happy with the density, if not - you always have the option to add more at a later date, but that's just me.

Hairlossguy222,

Thank you for sharing your story and uploading some photographs. This really helps the community gauge your situation and offer appropriate advice. Additionally, I'm pleased to see such thorough research. These efforts will really pay off in the end. I know this may sound vague, but you really cannot go wrong with any of the clinics you listed. Each physician is a world-class hair transplant surgeon with a proven track record. I personally think you should keep researching the doctors you listed and chose one offering the same result you're looking for. Good luck, and please keep us updated!

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

*Updated with Dr. Ron's estimates.

Spex - thanks for all the help!!

Maxxy - To be honest, that was my first thought too. However, after hearing other estimates, it made me think that maybe the lower end estimate could leave me not as satisfied as I hoped. On top of that, you mentioned that I could always just go back for another if I wasnt satisfied....which is totally true except for the fact that I would not be too keen on having to go back in such a short time only to have to another transplant. Just the hassle of getting all the time off again from work & the whole 12-14 month journey of waiting for the hair to fully grow, etc etc.

I was reluctant to even post this because I figured the majority of the posts would say 'no matter what Dr. you go to, you'll be fine' ....but I'd absolutely love to hear some other opinions on this. So please chime in!!

Hey hairlossguy222,

Again this is just me, you will have your own goals and factors in your life that will determine your decision.

I know the down time and everything involved in another surgery is an off putting thought, however, I'd still go with one of the lower estimates. Have the scar addressed and see if you are happy with the density, if not, as Spex has said, there isn't a great deal of difference in *medium* of the quotes (2000 is being mentioned a lot).

Personally, I'd book in expecting the lower estimate but understanding that on the day, it may well go above that number. If I wasn't happy with the density after say 1500 grafts, I'd have an FUE session for the other 500 (if this is all that was needed - personally, I wouldn't even consider a strip for anything a great deal under 1000 grafts). This approach would also allow you to evaluate the resulting scar and FUE into it if necessary.

The above is what I would do going off your photos.