proscar been on it now 4 months and still sheading..

Churchies49

Ive been on proscar just under 4 months and my hair is still sheading.

I cant really see any regrowth should i quit or keep going.

Im wanting a HT very soon and my sides and back are really thick but thin hair on top and when i put my hands through my hair tends to be a few thinned hairs that fall out.... GRRRRRRRRRR i nealry shaved it off other day but i couldnt lol.

Churchies49,

Are you cutting the proscar pills? I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing such intense shedding. However, I definitely do not think you should stop the medication (this will essentially stop any progress you've made thus far - even if you can't see it yet). It seems as if most shedding periods last around 4 months, so you could be very close to the end of this issue. Is it possible to make an appointment with the doctor who prescribed the proscar? He/she may be able to analyze your situation a bit more efficiently. Good luck, and please keep us updated.

"Doc" Blake Bloxham - formerly "Future_HT_Doc"

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I didn't see any regrowth either after 6+ months of propecia. It started after I added Minoxidil to the mix.

Proscar/Pecia's effect is to keep DHT from choking your follicles but if they're too weak, they're going to need this extra kick.

Where you're at, I'd advise against a HT because within 1-2 years, the new hair will have met the same Fate. Speaking from experience. So, first, try to stabilize your hairline. If things turn OK, and you get decent growth, you may even need a less substantial HT.

Churchies49,

I'm a little confused by your response, but let me see if I can clarify. First, I do NOT recommend you stop the Proscar. If you stop the medication now the progress you've made will stop, and your hair loss will progress. Second, I do recommend you consult with the physician who prescribed the Proscar and ask him/her to analyze your situation.

Third, Kenaz73 most likely advised against a hair transplant procedure simply because you are not a candidate at the moment (your hair loss is not this advanced). I wouldn't personally make this assumption without photographs and additional information on your situation (which you're welcome to provide through a weblog or your social profile). Lastly, hair transplanted during a procedure is resistant to the hormone that causes hair loss (dihydrotestosterone) and, traditionally, is not susceptible to future loss (meaning it wouldn't fall out).

I hope this helps!

Forum Co-Moderator and Editorial Assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, the Hair Loss Learning Center, the Hair Loss Q&A Blog, and the Hair Restoration Forum

All opinions are my own and my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

i dont get why people equate shedding and hair loss. some people hardly shed hair yet are still losing hair, others shed a lot and dont lose hair.

personally, ive been on proscar almost a yr now and ive been taking pic along the way to see if its helped. i really havent noticed a decrease in shedding but what i have noticed is that my hair basically looks the same as it did at this time last yr.

just keep taking it and evaluate in a yr.

Lastly, hair transplanted during a procedure is resistant to the hormone that causes hair loss (dihydrotestosterone) and, traditionally, is not susceptible to future loss (meaning it wouldn't fall out).

It wasn't the case for me. The hair I got transplanted massively disappeared within 3 years. The hairline receded mainly in the front. The new hair survived decently near the temples.

Kenaz73,

I'm very sorry to hear this. Normally, when hair is transplanted from the universal safe zone it will not fall out. This does not stop the progression of native hair loss, but the transplanted grafts should stay solid (although there are situations where follicular unit grafts are taken from a non-safe zone or transection of the follicles leads to poor yield). Would you mind sharing a little bit of information? Who performed your surgery, how long ago, etc? Feel free to add this to your social profile, or contact me in private if you'd like to discuss the issue.

I was worried that HT hair would fall out,but it seems to be a rare case,as read on other message.PHewwww.

This might sound stupid but some times i run my hand through my hair and look se if theres hairs and 9 out of 10 times there is.

Thats why im saying that proscar isnt working for me!!! il post some pics up 4months ago and now and see what you guys think...

Well thats when i find out how to post pics on here

Churchies49,

I think updating your social profile or creating a weblog with pictures is a good idea. This link may help provide some information on adding photographs. If you're still having issues, please feel free to send me a private message and I'll help!