Can too high of a concentration of Vitamin E oil SUFFOCATE the grafts ???

I'm 2 weeks post-op a 4496 grafts megasession (strip). Following clinic advice, I obtained some vitamin E oil (28,000 I.U.). The stuff is as thick as clover honey, and I applied it all over the recipient area last night. Pretty quickly thereafter I wondered if I made a big mistake. The stuff CANNOT be washed off it is so thick!! It also seemed to cause a MAJOR shed of the grafts, as if they got stuck in it and gave up the ghost !!

The clinic instructions said nothing about the concentration of the E oil. I even went on a big time bike ride tonight (I'm in Ne wOrleans, it's HOT !!) and I had sweat coming out my entire forehead, but NOTHING coming out on top where the grafts are !! It's as if I have a layer of crazy glue over the entire grafted area !!

My question is: can the grafts be harmed by this ? Can they be suffocated to death ?

I know I'm probably freakin' for nothing, but I'm wondering if this stuff has done more harm than good ??? :eek:

EpilepticSkeptic (formerly known as labrat),

I'm sure you haven't suffocated the grafts. However, in the future, you may want to use it in moderation to avoid oversaturating your scalp and hair. While it shouldn't harm anything, you simply don't need that much :-).

Best wishes,

Bill Seemiller

*I posted the same reply in your other thread*

Hi EpilepticSceptic,

Like the others have said, try not to stress too much - I'm sure everything is fine and no damage has been done. As for removing the oil, the answer to me seems a simple one, though I have never tried it. Go down to your local health store and buy a basic emulsifier, I'd recommend Polysorbate 80; I have very little experience with Polysorbate but I can assure you it is perfectly safe - many guys in the past used it for oily scalps and treating hair loss (I'm sure some still will); it is also used in some shampoos and foods. Polysorbate 80 shouldn't be too hard to find if you are in the States, though it can be a pain in the arse to get hold of in other countries. Anyway, a few washes *should* bring the oil straight off.

P.S. Polysorbate 60 or any emulsifier used in food (as it will be safe) should suffice if you can't find 80.

Edit: You could also try craft stores or a natural soap store (the type that make their own shampoos and soaps).