First post - 17 years old- receding hairline- need help/advice!!

Hello everyone!

I started this thread when I was 17 and struggling with my receeding hairline. I'm now 24 nearly 25 and while I don't think it is particularly worse it still bothers me. 7 years ago I was adviced to take the 'big 3' which I have done over the years. I am currently using 'Kirkland Foam' on my hairline and still takin Propecia and using Nizoral shampoo. Are these still considered the 'big 3'?

The other advice I was give was that I was not a candidate for a HT due to my age would this still be the case at 24/25? Around 2010/2011 Dr. Rahal was well thought of and would have been my prefered choice is he still reputable? I also visited Dr. Farjo who was seen as a decent option here in the UK and he had someone from Spain also working with him for a while who was sought after for FUE? I was also told that 'In 10 years they will be able to clone hair so you'll be fine'. Has this happened or is it likely to in the nex 3 years?

My apologies for the long post but I am now in a financial postion to potentially have a HT (assuming they haven't gone up drastically!) and would like to 'rebegin' my journey in a sense. Any help would be most appreciated!!

Many thanks

thebutterflycollector

Hello everyone!

I started this thread when I was 17 and struggling with my receeding hairline. I'm now 24 nearly 25 and while I don't think it is particularly worse it still bothers me. 7 years ago I was adviced to take the 'big 3' which I have done over the years. I am currently using 'Kirkland Foam' on my hairline and still takin Propecia and using Nizoral shampoo. Are these still considered the 'big 3'?

The other advice I was give was that I was not a candidate for a HT due to my age would this still be the case at 24/25? Around 2010/2011 Dr. Rahal was well thought of and would have been my prefered choice is he still reputable? I also visited Dr. Farjo who was seen as a decent option here in the UK and he had someone from Spain also working with him for a while who was sought after for FUE? I was also told that 'In 10 years they will be able to clone hair so you'll be fine'. Has this happened or is it likely to in the nex 3 years?

My apologies for the long post but I am now in a financial postion to potentially have a HT (assuming they haven't gone up drastically!) and would like to 'rebegin' my journey in a sense. Any help would be most appreciated!!

Many thanks

thebutterflycollector

I don’t know about the treatments, but in terms of having a HT in the UK, I can advise you of something. I’m in Ireland and had mine in Greece, so far so good etc but I did enquire with Vinci in the UK and they do them in London and they offered a payment plan of a down payment and paying it over 24-36 but you have to be a UK resident, which I’m not so couldn’t take out the instalment option so ended up in Greece getting it done for €3,000.

But if you’re in the UK I’d check them out, the price included two nights hotel in London and flight and came to around ?6,000 and I think it was around ?2,000 upfront and ?125 a month (or so can’t remember) over 36 months if you went the instalment. Was gutted couldn’t take the option to be honest and doing it in London would have been cool.

Hello everyone!

Many thanks

thebutterflycollector

It sounds as if you're doing everything right to keep your hair. 24, going on 25, is certainly a reasonable age to consider having a HT. FUE has come on leaps and bounds over the last 8 years, so this might be a good option for you. Cloning, on the other hand, still seems years off from being available. Other drug treatments are similarly waiting in the R&D wings.

If you're interested in discussing your case with another UK surgeon, I'd strongly recommend The Maitland Clinic. They're based in Portsmouth but see prospective patients for a consultation in Harley Street. Both Dr Edward Ball and his patient advisor, David Anderson (ex-Hasson & Wong), are extremely approachable and the the clinic's results seem to be as good as any.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Patrick and Postdoc thank you very much for your replies and recommendations of surgeons. Patrick you said you got yours in Greece, can I ask who with? Postdoc have you had any dealings with Dr Edward Ball? Can I also ask if what I am currently doing, medication wise, still appropriate? Does Kirkland foam make much difference for hairline loss? This has become something of a chore to be honest. Is there anything I can be doing in the mean time while I consider surgery? Once again than you very much for your help.

Patrick and Postdoc thank you very much for your replies and recommendations of surgeons. Patrick you said you got yours in Greece, can I ask who with? Postdoc have you had any dealings with Dr Edward Ball? Can I also ask if what I am currently doing, medication wise, still appropriate? Does Kirkland foam make much difference for hairline loss? This has become something of a chore to be honest. Is there anything I can be doing in the mean time while I consider surgery? Once again than you very much for your help.

I had my 3rd procedure (FUT/FUE) at The Maitland Clinic in October, so I can vouch for the professionalism of Dr Ball and his team. I'm sure he'd be happy to Skype you for an initial chat about your situation. Medication wise, finasteride (Propecia) is still the mainstay when it comes to retaining hair. There's some evidence that dutasteride (Avodart) can be better for frontal regrowth, but you run the risk of more (non-permanent) side-effects. Switching from finasteride to dutasteride might be worth considering if you're continuing to lose hair; if not, I'd stay put with the finasteride. Long-term minoxidil is a tricky one: it probably doesn't do much after 7 years, but there's the concern of possible shedding if one stops. Nizoral has much less evidence behind it than finasteride and minoxidil. If was using the 'Big 3', that's the one I would consider stopping. But before you do anything, arrange a Skype chat with Dr Ball (or someone else), so that he (they) can assess your situation and recommend the best way forward. I hope that helps.

receeding hairline sort of creeps up on you without realising, i noticed mine when i went for my usual grade one back and sides cut short on top and i was shocked when looking at pictures as to how far it went back

i then began growing my hair alot longer than what i used to and pulled the styles off but now i long for a buzz cut without the stupid M hairline

i have emailed farjo clinic expressing my concerns with pictures

I understand your feeling very well because I have the same problem now! :eek: I have a receeding hairline too and it really scares me, I don't want to become bald during several next yeahs! :(

I'm struggling with my problem (btw this forum really helped me with some useful ideas for such case), also I changed my hairstyle in order to cover up the problem... Fortunately, I found some great ideas for covering up my problem, this is really helpful because in this way you think less about it and can concentrate more on your healing procedures :)

I look now like this guy :D

37-Sassy-and-Fresh-Waves-650x650.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

No such thing as a stupid question. I think its great that you are taking the time to talk to people about this situation now rather than later. I think you are too young at this point for a HT but I think its a good idea for you to start using preventative treatments. Scheduled an appt to see a Dermatologist, they can discuss your treatment options with you in more detail.

Good luck sweetie!