Is Board Certification really that important?

How important that the doctor be certified by the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS)? I notice Dr. Jerry Wong is board certified.

Also, same question for Dermatology...how important is board certification?

The reason I ask is everyone in LA is making a big deal about Dr. Jan Adams not being a board certified plastic surgeon.

How important that the doctor be certified by the American Board of Hair Restoration Surgery (ABHRS)? I notice Dr. Jerry Wong is board certified.

Also, same question for Dermatology...how important is board certification?

The reason I ask is everyone in LA is making a big deal about Dr. Jan Adams not being a board certified plastic surgeon.

as far as hair transplantation goes ABHRS certification doesn't mean shit. Most of the MHR and Bosley docs are board certified and this forum has many posters who have had sub-par work performed; basically any doc, can get board certified; by the way Dr Wong is certified and he an excellent doc.

I would have to disagree with some of the comments made.

1. Dhoose75. Check your facts carefully. YOur post and link is actually in favor of board certification. The doctor mentioned in the story which I reviewed is not a Board Certified Dermatologist nor a fellow of the AMerican Board of Dermatology (http://www.aad.org)

2. Thus a more important reason for Board certification. Board certifications are necessary to insure the appropriate educational knowledge and competency of your physician. Board certifications are required in Dermatology every ten years. I am currently retaking my boards. Why? To assure I am a competent physician up to date with the knowledge in my specialty and to provide the very best care for my patients.

3. Board certifications are a measure to assure your doctor has passed certain levels of competency.

4. As for the ABHRS. Not every doctor can pass the test. YOu have to demonstrate written clinical competency in hair restoration as well as take a situational oral exam. Additionally, you have to have done at least 100 cases in a year and have presented your results to peers who review the work, many of which are posted and recommended on this site. SOme docs simply do not qualify and hence, not just any doc get get board certification.

Ricardo Mejia MD

Board Certified, Dermatology and Dermatologic Surgery,

Dioplomate, American Board oif Hair Restoration Surgery

dr mejia

their will be a lot of knowledgeable people on these forums who would probably pass a written/oral test.

as for the peers who are they,are they drs themselves with extensive backgroud in hair restoration or a lay person with such knowledge

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

sorry to ask again dr mejia ,you say the drs/peers,some are recomended on here.

who are they, they are recomending bosley and mhr and everything i read about them is negative

so does the standard of your tests need to be raised

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

All very good questions Chucky. There is more detailed information regarding the society, diplomates, and requirements at www.abhrs.org. Some of the past peers have been. Dr. Cooley, Dr. Nusbaum, Dr. Epstein who is on the board of directors, Dr. Parsley, Dr. Charles, Dr. Rose, Dr. True and I believe, even Dr. Wong.

Here is my opinion...

The ABHRS and a number of other physician organizations are important educational organizations that show a physician's commitment to education and knowledge in the field of hair transplantation.

To learn more specifically about the ABHRS, click here.

As stated by Dr. Mejia, a written and oral examination is required to receive a status of "diplomate" and is presented with a certificate after passing the exam. Strict guidelines are imposed on these physicians on how this certificate is "promoted" in order to prevent misconduct.

Therefore these "boards" are very important for continuing education.

However, the ABHRS (nor any educational organizations) does not test for surgical competency which is vital to the hair transplant patient.

So whereas "board certifications" look good, they don't mean that a surgeon is competent in the operating room which is why communities such as ours are vital to the seeking hair transplant patient.

Bill