New To Board

darkon

Hello all. I am new to this board and am thinking about a HT. I would like opinions on my situation. I am a norwood class 4 to class 5 , have straight hair, and would like to change styles( crewcut length to growing it long). My hair does or has never been combed back it always parted in the middle or towards the sides, would I be able to this again? Any one please answer honestly.Thanks

Hello all. I am new to this board and am thinking about a HT. I would like opinions on my situation. I am a norwood class 4 to class 5 , have straight hair, and would like to change styles( crewcut length to growing it long). My hair does or has never been combed back it always parted in the middle or towards the sides, would I be able to this again? Any one please answer honestly.Thanks

I don't recommend HT for everybody but if you do decide to get one, it's important to get only Follicular Unit grafts, because they look the most natural. Other grafts like Minigrafts need to be concealed with remaining hair, or "FU" grafts, so they are counter-productive IMO, you should avoid them. FU grafts look natural no matter which way the wind blows, unlike Minigrafts, so if you want a little flexibilty with your styling options (and a more natural result) stick with "only" Follicular Unit grafts. Read the article "The Best Procedure" on this site, to learn why FU grafts are superior. Recently MHR (Medical Hair Restoration) has begun to claim that their grafts are "the same" as Follicular Unit grafts. (They are not the same, BTW). Because FU grafts are considered the best, there are probably other doctors and clinics who are trying to "jump on the bandwagon" so do some research, and be careful. If you look at Pat's "Find a Great Surgeon" list, you will see that the list of doctors that are worth seeing is pitifully short. Be careful.

Also, keep in mind that HT just move hair from the back to the front, no new hair is created, and the amount of coverage and density you can expect is going to be limited. You're not going to get a full or bushy head of hair from a HT. If you get a good one, it will look natural, and give an illusion of coverage. Some of the good ones I've seen create a look as if the fellow had some hair loss and recession, but yet he has still managed to hold on to a decent amount of hair. (that's what I mean when I say a good HT creates an illusion).

As far as growing HT hair long and combing it back, I think it is very possible. I think that is a good look for many guys, but make sure that if you do decide to get a HT, that you use a surgeon who does an excellent job with hairlines. (The quality of surgeons varies dramatically.) Many doctors like to concentrate on the "frontal forelock" with the idea that the patient will comb his hair straight back, covering up (sort of) the sparse or bald areas, somewhat. (The Jack Nicholson look).

If you want to "do some homework" you should read through the previous forums, as well as go to the "Find a Great Doctor" section, and read all of those doctors' web sites. (Don't just read the summary that you get here, actually visit the doctors' websites and read them through).Most of the good doctors have very informative sites, because they really want to work with informed patients. I've noticed that many times the worse the doctor is, the more emphasis their website has on sales and marketing, whereas the better doctors really do want to inform the public,and really want to discuss the techniques that set them apart. Even if a doctor is not near you, look over his site, because you will start to form opinions on techniques and approaches. You will also see what might be the best results you can hope for, from an excellent doctor. Maybe you should read the Doctors' websites first, so you will have some background knowledge to help understand what is being discussed in the forums. If you are not a total newbie to HT, I would still read those websites, there is some interesting stuff there.

Also, one other website I can recommend. Not to be negative, but you should look at www.BosleyMedicalViolations.com to see what some of the pitfalls and traps can be used against you. In my opinion, many of the other big franchises like MHR and NuHart use similar tactics against patients, and should be avoided at all costs.

There are also some excellent scientific articles in the "Research Library" section of this site. They are a little technical sometimes, but I think most guys should be able to understand them. But first read up on the basics, in my opinion. There are a few basic concepts guys need to understand, in order to get the most out of the Research Library.

If you have any specific questions, ask away. If you do decide to get a HT, make sure you have seen LOTS of examples of that doctor's work, "in person". That's the best way to judge their skills.

Good Luck.

[This message was edited by arfy on March 24, 2002 at 12:45 AM.]

Here here Arfy... Well put.

Read up- Look at hairlosshelp.com and thebaldtruth.com too. Also, if you go to a consult, listen to the answers to your questions. They will sometimes try to pull the wool over your eyes. I went to MHR and wanted to see pictures of patients. Now, here's where the "gotcha" was: I asked him if they were from the doctor I was looking into. The consultant said, "Well- No... But the procedures are all the same..." Heh- Yeah RIGHT! They couldn't show me one example from this doctor... Again- Ask questions and listen to the answers...

Arfy is right- It's not for everyone. Read the posts in these forums, educate yourself, THEN decide. You will learn a lot.

Short hair? My scar is thin, and my hair is thick. I can were my hair fairly short but you'd see the scar if it was a Marine-cut I think... Of course my scar hasn't had time to fade yet so time will tell...

Futzy