22yrs, serious hairloss problem -need HELP (+can't get a prescription for propecia)

Starguitar

Hey,

I know this is just a 1 in a million post but any help would be really appreciated ...cause I'm starting to get desperate, and i have to deal with lots of insecurities due to my hairloss -it is another problem I really don't wanna have to deal with now... I'm too young (and have no money) for Surgical treatment

to sum it up: I'm very young, always have been proud at my half-long brown hair and now it's dissapearing, have bald spots on the crown and its thinning rather rapidly since this year, tried concealers for more than a year now (Toppik works well), but in the meantime I'm starting to get balder and balder and the concealers well, they do what they say... they eh conceal... nothing more nothing less...

Recently I read a lot about propecia here, so I went to my doctor and she looked it up (she didn't know the drug yet) and said it was an androgenic drug and she doesn't want to prescribe it to me because of many nasty side effects... it could even cause infertility... So I just went for some 2nd opinion to a pharmacy in a city nearby, and she told me almost the same (that it is a dangerous drug and wouldn't advice it)

So now my question is, is Propecia really that dangerous? If it's really the best advice you have for me... where/how should I order it then?

So, what should I do (any other treatments? suggestions?), cause by the rate my hair is thinning I will be bald at the age of 25 I fear!! I 'm quite positive that it's genetic, my father has it too and I've taken bloodsamples to exclude other causes already...

another question: if I use Rogaine/minoxidil I should apply it on a daily basis --> so does that mean I can't use toppik on my hair anymore (without applying it every day after the minoxidil?) I never go outside without Toppik...

Thanks alot in advance!!!

greetings

Hey,

I know this is just a 1 in a million post but any help would be really appreciated ...cause I'm starting to get desperate, and i have to deal with lots of insecurities due to my hairloss -it is another problem I really don't wanna have to deal with now... I'm too young (and have no money) for Surgical treatment

to sum it up: I'm very young, always have been proud at my half-long brown hair and now it's dissapearing, have bald spots on the crown and its thinning rather rapidly since this year, tried concealers for more than a year now (Toppik works well), but in the meantime I'm starting to get balder and balder and the concealers well, they do what they say... they eh conceal... nothing more nothing less...

Recently I read a lot about propecia here, so I went to my doctor and she looked it up (she didn't know the drug yet) and said it was an androgenic drug and she doesn't want to prescribe it to me because of many nasty side effects... it could even cause infertility... So I just went for some 2nd opinion to a pharmacy in a city nearby, and she told me almost the same (that it is a dangerous drug and wouldn't advice it)

So now my question is, is Propecia really that dangerous? If it's really the best advice you have for me... where/how should I order it then?

So, what should I do (any other treatments? suggestions?), cause by the rate my hair is thinning I will be bald at the age of 25 I fear!! I 'm quite positive that it's genetic, my father has it too and I've taken bloodsamples to exclude other causes already...

another question: if I use Rogaine/minoxidil I should apply it on a daily basis --> so does that mean I can't use toppik on my hair anymore (without applying it every day after the minoxidil?) I never go outside without Toppik...

Thanks alot in advance!!!

greetings

Hey, Propecia is pretty dangerous, read my other post or go to www.propeciahelp.com and you will see that the side effects are in fact real, and in some people they are even irreversible. You should really take my word for it when I say that it is not worth the trouble...

I am actually surprised that your doctors didn't prescribe it to you, it actually kind of makes me happy to know that there actually are doctors out there who are kind of concerned. Unfortunatley the doctor I went to was not like this.

Do a google search for dr. lee or xandrox and you will come across a page for his minoxidil formula which also contains azelaic acid, azelaic acid is a powerful topical anti-androgen and honestly I don't even think you need propecia if you use it... just take a look at this study on azelaic acid taken straight out of a medical journal...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=pubmed&Cmd=...anel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey,

thanks for the info, and for the warning about Propecia (once again).

From the link you sent me Azeleic Acid seems a promising ingredient, did you use Xandrox yourself and got good results? or heard anyone with (good/bad) results yet?

Because right now I feel like giving everything a shot...

There's one more question, do you think by any chance this could exist also in pill-form, not a spray form? And if I would use the spray, then I can't really use Toppik anymore I guess?

Thanks alot,

take care!

I've used xandrox on and off for a few months and my hair loss seems to have pretty much halted. I've also had a little bit of thickening of the temples and the sides of the frontal hairline, so far just peach fuzz growth and thickening of hairs that were already peach fuzz to begin with but according to any manufacturer of minoxidil the fuzz should become regular hair with continued use. I've also been using the xandrox 15% minoxidil formula, which is three times the minoxidil found in rogaine. Let me tell you, you do not wanna apply this stuff in the morning or do you ever wanna be seen after you've put it on. The 5% formula of xandrox is definitley an advantage over using rogaine. The stuff messes up your hair a lot less, and of course has the added benefit of azelaic acid. I have honestly not read a bad thing that someone has said about xandrox, if you look through this forum or do a search I'm pretty sure you'll find people who've mentioned it and rightly so. The one drawback of xandrox is that it is more expensive than rogaine, but honestly I think it is worth it.

As for your question about applying your concealer I can't really say because I don't really have any thinning on the top of my head. But I think you should be ok to put on any hair product after you wait about 10 minutes for it to dry, I also think the baby dropper might be better than the spray for the top of the head, but I could be wrong. Also know that thinning on top of the head generally responds better to minoxidil than the front, and with a powerful formula like xandrox I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't even have to use a concealer anymore after a few months.

As for azelaic acid in pill form, I don't think it would work out because it either doesn't get digested and metabolized or it is too strong of an anti-DHT agent that it is not used. Spironolactone is a much more powerful anti-androgen, and as a matter of fact is the crap that many transvestites ingest to make themselves more, shall we say, womanly. Dr. Lee also happens to be selling spironolactone in cream form, I honestly think this is more effective than finasteride for eliminating DHT in the scalp, spironolactone not only eliminates DHT but also binds to the DHT receptors in the follicles and keeps DHT out of these receptors. Topical spironolactone seems to not have much popularity though, probably because people see it as too much and you have to apply it seperatley than minoxidil.

Ketaconazole is also a topical DHT blocker and an anti-inflammatory agent. It is the active ingredient in Nizoral shampoo. Dr. Lee of course has his own version which also contains salyclic acid which is supposed to give the ketaconazole more absorption into the skin. If you do decide to use a ketaconazole shampoo your hair will really suck unless you also use some sort of moisturizing conditioner.

There's some info, hope it helps, good luck.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Your info definitely helped, thanks again for your time! I 've read the Q&A's about Xandrox15 Solution and the xandrox 5% and I think I'm going to give Xandrox15 a try for some months, from what I read it sounds at least promising...

Does anyone know of a reliable site where to order it (I'm from Belgium, Regrowth.inc is a US site)

thanks

Hey Star - I started losing at around your age and went through the same insecurities.

Propecia saved me...and my doctor had no hesitation in giving me a perscription.

Kind of surprised your docs won't prescribe it. I'm even more shocked they've never heard of it...which concerns me. Did your second doctor know what the drug was? I would at least find someone who has perscribed it in the past before they pass judgement on it.

Matt on this forum (who gave you advice) claims to have had a horrible experience...possibly from the drug...possibly not...either way it is EXTRAORDINARILY RARE to go through what he claims to have gone through with Propecia.

I wouldn't necessarily take his word over the countless others who take the drug successfully and swear by it.

To address Xandrox 15 - I think its great and have used it for months...but keep in mind I've been on Propecia too...so not sure how it works on its own.

Just some food for thought - Even Dr. Lee who invented/sells Xandrox, recommends AND perscribes Propecia on his site.

If you decide to buy from Dr. Lee (the only place to buy Xandrox) - I'd recommend his shampoo as well. I've been using it in my regimen.

Good news is that you're young. The earlier you catch you alopecia and start on a regimen the better your results will be (typically).

Hey Andy,

thanks, however if you browse through this forum and others on the net, sides(mainly sexual) w/ Propecia seem to occur rather common (althoug the horror stories will be very rare).

I'm very glad if it worked for you and others but feel sorry for those with nasty and sometimes alsting sides...

there's a part of me that (REALLY) would like to give it a shot(out of desperation as many probably), but another part of me that says to wise up and not to use such a drug. Either way -even if it works- I doubt longtime use can be healthy for anyone's body

so now, I think I'm gonna place my bets on Xandrox 5% (I read Xandrox15 is not advised to start with) once I figured out how to use it in combination with my Toppik

cheers

im using rogaine 5% for the last 2 months,, seein loads of baby hair at the front of my head where ive been bald for years! the hairs are very had to see, i can only see them after washing my hair,, hopefully theyl thicken up in a few month!

2200 DHI Ireland june 2007

Rogaine 5% may 2007

Lasercomb jan 2008

Nizoral aug 2007

Hi

I have been on Propecia for 7 years or so without side effects. There are a small percentage of people who have side effects as well. Of course if you search the internet on ALL possible side effects for any drugs including alcohol, tobacco, and others you will find a ton.. Of course I am not avocating drug use but let's paint a clear picture. Make a fair assessment based on your needs.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hi

Thruth. But what concerns me are the drastic measurements you have to take, like fact you always have to use a condom when having sex because the propecia affects your semen and as a result can be dangerous when it results in pregnancy... my obvious second question would be: how will persistent, permanent use of this testosterone inhibiting drug affect a man's fertility?

Star,

Where are you getting these facts? Many men on Propecia have kids. I think you are a bit exaggerated on the side effects.. If you did have side effects stopping it would return to normal .. I know Matt is quite passionate about his Propecia outlook but the truth is there are many people on here who are very happy using it.. Again, if you look for reseach on anything ( even fast food) you will find extremes in side effects.

From a legal standpoint, if the side effects were that substantial, Merck would pull it off the market.. They cannot afford big lawsuits & like Vioxx it was pulled quickly despite millions of revenues.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

I'm with Mrjb on this one, lot's of these side effects are posted on forums and around the internet mainly as a marketing ploy for other companies. A lot of the side effects are true however, but I think you are getting to wrapped up in all the hype.

Just my two cents

(Signature removed by Falceros - Co-Moderator of this community due to promotional material. Please refer to our Terms of Service for more information.

Many men have attempted to bring forth a lawsuit against Merck for damages caused by Propecia, but it doesn't work out because very few men have blood hormone profiles of how they were before taking the drug. So of course Merck is gonna have some expensive ass lawyer whose gonna use this fact as an advantage and state that the plaintiff has no proof that they weren't like this before taking the drug. Propecia will also subtly affect your personality, as it does alter some mechanisms in the brain (look this up if you want to).

It's easy to see how some men can be so defensive of this drug since it does stop hair loss and grow some back in most cases, but the price for this can be very high.

Well I'm just about done making these posts, I do not work for any company, nor do I really care what ends up happening to you, because you can't say that I didn't warn you.

Matt

Surely we value your input, but keep in mind everyone does not get side effects as you have.. This is true with all drugs. Look at all the people who smoke and don't get cancer? Yes, there is surely risk with every drug, food, or anything for that matter we put in our body.

As far as lawsuits, people try to sue Mcdonalds for causing them to gain weight so we cannot judge Propecia by the lawsuits brought against Merck.. Keep in mind Finasteride is not a "new drug" as it has been on the market for some time for prostate treatment..

It is not a matter of being defensive. We must step back and look at the facts and percentage of people who are getting "side effects" as we do with all drugs.. There are ten's of thousands of drugs on the market and if we stopped using them for every person who claimed side effects, there would be not medicines available. Minoxidil has side effects as well, and more people use that than Propecia.

Name one drug which doesn't have side effects?

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 2 weeks later...

1st of all, can someone please delete the fucking ad for save-your-hair.com above me.

sorry about that. STARGUITAR - I'm about to write a long post in response to Matt Skiba on his other thread. I've been having some side effects, and eventually had to stop Propecia. I'm still having problems. But I also remember how desperate I felt when I was 18 starting to go bald, and honestly if I had to take the risk I'd probably do it again. That being said, in hindsight I wish that I had not taken the risk.

Here's and idea (and what I did before deciding to quit Propecia for good): shave your head. Buzz your head and then shave it to the scalp. This is what you will look like if you go bald (and have the dignity not to walk around with a horseshoe on your head). This will help you to make a risk-benefit analysis. If you can live with this, maybe don't consider Propecia. But if you think you look like a freak without hair, you might want to take the risk.

Best of luck

7 years with finasteride and no problems. I have one little shild with no problems. Now I am using generic finasteride and no prescription is needed. I found finasteride better price from:

http://www.4rx.com/main.php?Page=Product&Id=18&kbid=6979

or if you prefer Avodart:

http://www.4rx.com/main.php?Page=Product&Id=24&kbid=6979