Good article on appearance and your career

MrJobi

Hi all

This really touches on many of our past discussions.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Custom/MSN/CareerAdvice/Vi....aspx?articleid=1293

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Hi all

This really touches on many of our past discussions.

http://msn.careerbuilder.com/Custom/MSN/CareerAdvice/Vi....aspx?articleid=1293

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Interesting article.

I think the way we feel about the way we look has more impact that our actual looks themselves, though I'm not denying that many people do judge us on our appearance alone and can ultimately impact the way they see us.

The way we feel about the way we look however, ultimately impacts our level of confidence. If I feel that I am attractive and looking good, I am more outgoing, talkative, funny, etc.

Back before my hair transplants, I wore a hat all the time. With my hat, I felt pretty confident in myself and came off differently than when I was without it. I simply didn't feel attractive showing my balding head.

Bill

Bill, That is absoultely true for me also. I reach out more when I feel good about the way I look. It's like night and day how you're perceived by others when you feel good. I won't even get the same responses when I'm tired. It really comes down to having your attention flowing outwards versus inward on yourself. Mrjb, I read an article in "Men's Health" on vanity and contrary to to prior thinking that it was something to be avoided, actually has been found in study after study to benefit the proprietor: promotions, more confidence, better health, the list just goes on and on!

In all honesty I doubt balding is a detriment at an office job, hell I think it could even be an advantage. If i were to see a balding man and a man with a full head of hair, both wearing a suit, standing next to each other, I would probably subconsciously think that the man with the full head of hair is more likely to be a slacker.

I've always thought that a balding man in a suit looks more mature and proffesional.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting topic!!! Yes I do believe that appearance does play a factor in the work field. I think mostly from your co-workers though. I own my own business and I would say that I would judge off of appearance since in in the Real Estate Market. I think the appearance can come against alot of people and actually bring down a charachter. Sometimes to much confidence is not good. They are usually the one who wants to take my job.But you cant since i am the owner. I dont look at the looks at the job,just as long as they are clean cut and dress to the code. But I remember before I lost my hair, I was liked by my peers with my full head of hair. If I was to go back working for someone else,then I think there would be some changes in favor from the other co-workers.These are just my thoughts,but they are not correct in every situation. Of course my ideal employee would be beautiful with a great sense of the business. Looks do sell in my business,but truth is my criteria and a person who sells with lies is canned.

I think it really depends on your industry. In sales, generally you are selling yourself so if you are more confident, no doubt you will be better. If you walk into a store who do you want to help you ? The pretty women or the heavier women.. No doubt most would pick the more attractive person in this case. I think in some industries Matt is right. A more mature, credible looking man might be better..

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!