Surgery Scheduled: Question About Scar Revision

Hey guys,

So I have an appointment with Dr. Reed in La Jolla in January, which I'm really looking forward to. My question is that I have a pretty thick hypertrophic scar from my first HT with MHR and am really hoping to get better results with less scar thickness this time around.

Dr. Reed says he will cut out the current scar and additional donor area and inject steroids post op to prevent the same type of scarring from occurring. Are there any other options to consider?

I really want to have the ability to buzz cut my hair low in the event I'm disappointed yet again by the regrowth or just because I want a different style.

Right now, if I buzz it, the scar is a little too noticeable and eye sore like

i have never heard of injecting steroids post op to prevent the scar stretching.has dr reed said what type of closure he will use on your new scar and what size hair transplant are you getting.

photos of your first ht would be usefull to gain better advice from the forum members

2 x strip ht`s with Norton,very poor results

1 x fue ht with DHI,very poor result

The996,

Dr. Reed is a first-rate surgeon and you will be in great hands.

I have not personally heard of injecting steriods to help prevent scar stretching however, I would ask him about it. Removing the old scar however, is one of the methods to repair a scar. The other alternative is to have grafts extracted via FUE and inserted into the scar to help camoflauge it.

Learn more about hair transplant repair.

Best wishes,

Bill

I agree, steroids are commonly used to prevent the hypertrophic or keloid scarring as the previous poster mentioned. It will not help with stretching directly, but I think keloid formation adds to the overall tension of the scar which can lead to stretching down the road, so preventing that will help. In general, injecting around a scar closure after surgery is a common preventive measure to aid in reducing inflammation during healing so it shouldn't raise a red flag.

Yes, that is accurate about the steroids for hypertrophic scars. You can also discuss with Dr. Reed the use of ALdara (imiquimod) for hypertrophic scars. This may also help minimize a thick scar.

Ricardo Mejia MD

Jupiter Florida

561-748-0510

Hair Transplant Network Physician