When do new grafts fall out?

I'm 12 days post op and I know I have months to go to see the end results but I could swear the new grafts in the recipient area are already growing since the stuble is now longer than last week. Do the new grafts typically grow before they shed? I was thinking that they would shed before they started to grow. Basically none of the transplanted hairs have fallen out. All scabbing was gone at about 7 days post op. Is it possible for the new hairs to not shed and begin growing like normal?

I'm 12 days post op and I know I have months to go to see the end results but I could swear the new grafts in the recipient area are already growing since the stuble is now longer than last week. Do the new grafts typically grow before they shed? I was thinking that they would shed before they started to grow. Basically none of the transplanted hairs have fallen out. All scabbing was gone at about 7 days post op. Is it possible for the new hairs to not shed and begin growing like normal?

hi flyby

I too thought ,well really hoped i was one of the "lucky" ones whose hair just grows from day one ,sadly it was not to be .

After 28 days i had shed very little grafts and was loving my hair ,however during the next 10 days I lost loads ,I kept some however and they have since grown happily alone ,even had to shave them three times to match my #2 buzz cut .

Now seven weeks later ,only 49 days later i have felt tiny stubble in my graft site ,these must have been the first grafts to shed ,tiny baby hairs ,you can only just see them and there's only a few but i have got a long way to go yet .

If i were you i'd try to stop worrying about it ,because the truth is they'll proberbly shed

good luck bud .

richie

2100 crown grafts

Dr Feller

nov 2007

I think everyone hopes that they are one of the lucky ones and will be able to retain their transplanted hairs without going through the initial shed. Unfortunately, this is apparently very rare.

I would love to hear a doctor's input on this, but from my understanding, why the hairs are forced into telogen (shedding) and an extended catagen (resting) phase is still not fully known. I believe I have heard some say it has to do with the trauma of being moved from one place to another which certainly sounds possible.

Does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi dear.........i have gone through ur question and it takes 3-4 weeks to fall out and its impossible for all the new garfts to grow with out fall(shedding).The new graft ll fall out with in 3-4 weeks after surgery and according to the normal hair cycle its start growing after 75 days(two and half month). As the length of the hair is less at that time(75 days) usually 3mm so its not visible and remain under the dermis.........As time passes it increases in length......ans it become visibel by the end of 4 month(10 % only).I am sure my all this explantion ll clear all the confusion.