Does a smaller session = smaller scar?

It seems that the average person can hide their scar with a 3-4 guard, but I have seen a few people with sessions less than 3000 that can go down to a #1 guard and still disguise their scar. Is this because they had a smaller session or does it just have more to do with other individual factors?

NW4recession,

Great question.

Personally, I have seen impressive and poor scars both on patients who have received smaller and larger hair transplant megasessions.

In my opinion, creating a fine scar has much more to do with the physician's experience and ability and the patient's individual characteristics.

For instance, scar stretching is one such phenomenon that despite the surgeon's sincerest efforts, can be related to a patient's individual healing characteristics. Simply put - some people are more susceptible to stretching than others. I imagine that this has something to do with the lack of supporting collagen in some patients over others however, I'm sure there are a number of medical possibilities that I'm unaware of. An extreme form of patients who are likely to experience scar stretching due to "thin skin" is a condition known as Ehlers-Danlers Syndrome. In this condition, the skin is extremely elastic. Though elasticity is typically a good thing for those undergoing hair restoration surgery, there are some cases like those with Ehlers-Danlers Syndrome, where it can be a hindrance.

To minimize the appearance of the donor scar, be sure to 1) select a first-rate hair restoration physician and 2) discuss with them all the possible risks based on your individual donor characteristics.

It will be interesting to hear additional input on this, especially some of our physicians.

Best wishes,

Bill