Propecia + Saw Palmetto

Blond

It seems to me that saw palmetto and finasteride work via separate mechanisms. We all know how finasteride works however there is quite a lot of debate on saw palmetto's mechanism of action.

Some studies seem to indicate that it has anti-estrogenic qualities and as estrogen adversely affects the prostate this may be just one way it works to protect guys with BPH. Also my understanding is that it can reduce the presence of the androgen receptors and hence lessen the responsiveness of the prostate/androgen sensitive tissues to androgens.

Why is this of interest? Well because I don't see any reason why people shouldn't take saw palmetto along with Propecia. It may help by reducing androgen receptors and promoting antiestrogenic activity.

Also, I was also thinking if someone was coming of propecia for what ever reason.. it may help reduce the androgen receptors that have probably been up regulated via finasteride use.... so the systems not so shocked by a sudden surge of DHT!

I can't work out whether saw palmetto would act on other parts of the body i.e. scalp. I guess it would but not very well.. so this might limit advantages over hair loss but still may be good for overall hormone profile?

This is just a thought and I wanted to know what you guys think. It is by no way advice on how to self medicate!!!!!!!!

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

It seems to me that saw palmetto and finasteride work via separate mechanisms. We all know how finasteride works however there is quite a lot of debate on saw palmetto's mechanism of action.

Some studies seem to indicate that it has anti-estrogenic qualities and as estrogen adversely affects the prostate this may be just one way it works to protect guys with BPH. Also my understanding is that it can reduce the presence of the androgen receptors and hence lessen the responsiveness of the prostate/androgen sensitive tissues to androgens.

Why is this of interest? Well because I don't see any reason why people shouldn't take saw palmetto along with Propecia. It may help by reducing androgen receptors and promoting antiestrogenic activity.

Also, I was also thinking if someone was coming of propecia for what ever reason.. it may help reduce the androgen receptors that have probably been up regulated via finasteride use.... so the systems not so shocked by a sudden surge of DHT!

I can't work out whether saw palmetto would act on other parts of the body i.e. scalp. I guess it would but not very well.. so this might limit advantages over hair loss but still may be good for overall hormone profile?

This is just a thought and I wanted to know what you guys think. It is by no way advice on how to self medicate!!!!!!!!

Blond.

-----------------------------

PhD (Experimental and Clinical medicine)

1.25mg Finasteride

Minoxidil 5% (EOD)

Nizoral 1% (x3/week)

Sure you can take it but there is no legit scientific evidence I have found which shows it regrows hair or assists..

I've taken it before for over a year & nothing

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!