Pitting vissible in bright light...

One problem I'm still interested in addresses is some minor pitting I have. When in the bright light, pitting is visible. I am considering micro-dermabrasion; however, I am curious if anyone has had good results with this. I would love to cut my hair short, but in doing so, that pitting is visible, I wonder if micro-dermabrsion would do the trick....or possibly something else???

One problem I'm still interested in addresses is some minor pitting I have. When in the bright light, pitting is visible. I am considering micro-dermabrasion; however, I am curious if anyone has had good results with this. I would love to cut my hair short, but in doing so, that pitting is visible, I wonder if micro-dermabrsion would do the trick....or possibly something else???

hknight315,

Welcome to our community. I'm sorry to hear that you have some pitting. Who was your doctor? When was your surgery? How many grafts did you receive?

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about micro-dermabrasion...hopefully somebody here (maybe a doctor) can chime in with details on this.

Bill

dr pomerantz of chicago did the job, not good. I have since gone to shaprio and he is a great doc. But its Summer time again, and as most of you know, when you're out under that bright sun, any pitting is noticeable, hence, I am considering what micro-dermabrasion or a peal would do....I hope someone has heard of or tried this before...an ideas????

Completely understand and share your frustration. Besides being disappointed with density of my first procedure, I have been more self concious and embarassed by the pitting/scarring in my donor area than I was just being bald! Damn, I hate those overhead or bright lights ... This was my primary motivation to have the second procedure to cover my now scarred scalp. Now 3 months post-op and growth just about to begin, hopefully it will no longer be noticeable.

My first procedure was done almost a year ago by Dr. Ross and the second 3 months ago by Dr. Wong. I am very much looking forward to the new growth covering the pitting/scarring issue on my scalp. Are you happy with the density now? How long are you post-op? And are you going to have another procedure to improve the density and cover the pitting/scarring?

I would recommend that you consult a dermatologist regarding dermabrasion or anything concerns your hair/scalp, but I completely share your concern and disappointment ... for me I chose to have the second procedure to cover the issue ... and until I grows in, I just have to live with it ...

Knight,

I don't believe that microdermabrasion is going to be your answer unfortunately. icon_frown.gif Firstly, it would be too difficult to be able to get at the scarred or pitting area because of the proximity to the FU or plugs. If you were to shave your head bald then they would have a much better ability to address the issue, however it would take several treatments and from all that I have seen on microdermabrasion it is limited as to what it can do. The depth of the incisions that were made for your transplant is roughly going to be the depth of the scarring. In my opinion it is not going to happen. I would like to be proven wrong though. Yes you see the miracle photos in ads for dermatologists but realistically it is not going to make a dramatic change and it is going to cost you some cash.

You would be better off to consider another HT to increase density and to conceal things. This is just a reality unfortunately. I hate to be the bearer of bad news. Good luck with things.

NN

NN

Dr.Cole,1989. ??graftcount

Dr. Ron Shapiro. Aug., 2007

Total graft count 2862

Total hairs 5495

1hairs--916

2hairs--1349

3hairs--507

4hairs--90

It depends how bad it is. I know people that have had it done with an improvement but still have bright light fright. I did it once but realized my situation was different.

By the way I would trust DR. Shapiro as to what to expect as he offers it. I am sure if you are a hat at the beach guy he will tell you.

Life is the pits when you trust the wrong people.

Can't wait until Angie posts again so I can rip her a new a-$$. I know who she is.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.

• 2 weeks later...

wrangler- you sound a lot like a consultant who works for hasson and wong. how many different user id's do you have? i had a horrible experience at xyz's office. i sure am glad hasson and wong were able to fix me back up again... let's see some pics to back up your claims. i'm sure hasson and wong's office have a few such pics you can post, but at least you won't be able to continue falsely slamming random doctors in order to promote your own office. get some ethics.

tanman,

I'm not sure I quite get the tone of your post nor why you suspect WranglerSD of being a paid consultant of Hasson and Wong. There is nothing in his post that indicates that he is cheerleading them.

But if you want pictures to back up a claim of how good a clinic is, do a "find" on this and other forums and see for yourself.

Feel free to click on the link for my third surgery and judge for yourself as well since I had my third HT with Hasson and Wong. Are you going to accuse me now of being a paid consultant because I'm happy with my results so far?

Now back to topic...

Not knowing much about microdermabrasion, I think it's important to spend time researching it just as if you would be researching an HT. Is it really going to help with pitting? I'm not sure. But NN might be right...maybe it's worth going to a quality HT doc who uses ultra refined flat blades to make incisions and increasing density to hide the pitting. Look into all your options before making a decision.

Cheers,

Bill

Originally posted by tanman:

wrangler- you sound a lot like a consultant who works for hasson and wong. how many different user id's do you have? i had a horrible experience at xyz's office. i sure am glad hasson and wong were able to fix me back up again... let's see some pics to back up your claims. i'm sure hasson and wong's office have a few such pics you can post, but at least you won't be able to continue falsely slamming random doctors in order to promote your own office. get some ethics.

tanman, I did not get that from Wranglers post at all!

He just sounds helpful to me.

Am I missing something?

I guess I'll have a dermatologist look at it. It's not that bad, but when my hair is short, it looks a bit odd in bright light.

If anyone knows of related info on this, again, let us know. Matt at shapiro suggested I speak with a good dermatologist, so I'll be doing some research on that. He acknowledged that there is no industry standard on how to best handle this situation. So, it seems much of this is experimental. He also suggested a chemical peal, but again, a dermatologist is who I should speak with.

If anyone has tried any of these methods, we would be happy to see the pics"???I know I would!

**HINT** Does anyone else beside me have really bright lights in the bathroom. I lit up my bathroom with some bright-ass florescent lights so I can see the pitting better"???I figure if I can look good in bad light, I'll look better in dim light.

My problem is also compounded because the previous doc put in graphs where they were NOT NEEDED. Hence, as my hairline reseeds, I see more of them, and of course the pitting to boot. So word to the wise, get graphs where you need them.

And on that note, is anyone taking more than 2 mg of propecia / day. What's your dose/result. As my dosage (2 mg/day) doesn't seem to be working....sure it slows it down, but it hasn't stopped it.

That is usually a result of an untrained person planting too deep. Chain clincs usually have this ( looks like a catfish wisker coming out of a blackhead) nice huh ,as well as cobblestoning= not deep enough + ridging or elevated scalp=untrimmed grafts or fibrosis= discolored scarred scalp. Pick the wrong place and you can get all of the above plus more.

A hair on the head is worth two on the brush.

I don't work for commision.. I bust e'm for free. Thank me later.