Confused about which Technique is best

I completely agree with Joe and Bill. It seems you would get the best graft survival rate this way thus the max number of grafts.

Not sure that I agree with that comment.

There is however one conclusion that many practitioners ??“ reputable docs that do both strip and FUE ??“ seem to arrive at. You can generally move hair with strip alone than you can with FUE alone. Dr. Rose has stated this as has Dr. Harris, Dr. Wolf, and Dr. Bisanga. I know at least two of these physicians have lectured on FUE and are quite skillful and knowledgeable about the technique. Regardless of the many benefits of FUE, strip is the preferred surgery for patient requiring the maximum number of follicular units to treat their hair loss.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

TheHairLossCure,

I'm not sure I understand.

What don't you agree with?

Joe, myself, and NoBuzz are saying that it makes more sense to Strip out first and then go the FUE route for more if needed than to go the reverse (FUE first and then strip if needed).

Do you disagree with that statement? Why or why not?

Thanks,

Bill

Hey Bill. I disagree that strip surgery followed by FUE is the best way to maximize the survival rate of the grafts. I do agree however that this approach makes more sense ??“ but not because of survival. Strip is a more efficient way to move hair mass therefore patients with advanced hair loss are often better candidates for strip.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

TheHairLossCure,

As far as I understand...we were not talking about survival rate, but maximizing the number of grafts.

I would suggest that survival rate of the grafts should be the same no matter which method was used first - though I'm still under the belief that the risk of transection is higher in FUE than strip.

Bverotti,

I have not received a PM from you. Though you are welcome to publicly post the results. Just please stick to the scope of your clinic's work when providing your results. Thanks.

Bill

"Candidates: There are more strip candidates than FUE candidates. Additionally, Dr. Feller has admitted (on the hair transplant network discussion forum) that there is no surefire way to know before starting the surgery whether or not a patient is REALLY an FUE candidate. So when moving forward with an FUE session, you are already taking a risk because you may not be a good candidate. So going into FUE, there is a chance that:

1. You'll end up having to go to strip because you are not a good FUE candidate

2. You'll end up going home with no surgery (and most likely less money) because you didn't want strip

3. You'll end up getting an FUE that doesn't yield good results because the doctor performing the surgery gave you the full surgery anyway even though you may not have been a good candidate, which will significantly knock down the success percentage." Bill . First off congradulations on being Forum Co Moderator and

Associate Publisher

With that said. I will add one thing to the topic. You have to consider more than just one source of Fue doctors when making a strait across the board statement on Fue. Don't you agree?

Franklin,

Dr. Feller was used as an example since I've had multiple online discussions with him.

Feel free to disagree with me, but I encourage you to share evidence that I am wrong.

Keep in mind there are a number of doctors that will perform FUE even if the patient is not a good candidate. This simply increases the risk of transection of the hair follicle, therefore resulting in a lesser growth yield. I've seen it far too many times!

Thanks,

Bill

Feel free to disagree with me, but I encourage you to share evidence that I am wrong.

Hi Bill. Like you having multiple conversations with Dr. Feller as your opinion to go by. I can only go by not just having conversations before my surgery with Dr. Woods. But all important to me anyway is with over 20 patients that I was in contact with some I seen in person others photos via e-amil over the net. And phone conversations. All this before I travelled so far and spent my hard earn money. At this point I do not believe in the megasession as I know that Fue or at least my procedures were long and carefully done. Under high powered magnification. I do agree there will be plenty of docs at this time that will do Fue just to say they offer it with out in my opinion enough results for my eyes. My only thing I would add as you write about Fue why not go out and get a few more interviews together and of course ask for there results and report further. Thanks for your response.

As far as I understand...we were not talking about survival rate, but maximizing the number of grafts.

Certainly survival is not the major theme in this thread, but it was brought up. I was disagreeing with this comment: "It seems you would get the best graft survival rate this way [strip out first and then go the FUE] thus the max number of grafts."

While you usually can produce the max number of grafts with a STRIP/FUE hyrid, graft production should not be confused with graft survival.

bverotti:

You mentioned "Consultant Ilterclinic in Sweden, Dr. Ilter" as an example of a good FUE doc.

I have actually checked him out as a possible doc but changed my mind quickly when I realised that he does not have one single decent result on his website. (And considering those are amongst his best that is sad indeed)

"FUE will ALWAYS produce faster or equally fast final results then strip surgery on the average person."

Always and Average seem like te wrong combination of words to use in the same sentece.

Originally posted by el guapo:

bverotti:

You mentioned "Consultant Ilterclinic in Sweden, Dr. Ilter" as an example of a good FUE doc.

I have actually checked him out as a possible doc but changed my mind quickly when I realised that he does not have one single decent result on his website. (And considering those are amongst his best that is sad indeed)

"FUE will ALWAYS produce faster or equally fast final results then strip surgery on the average person."

Always and Average seem like te wrong combination of words to use in the same sentece.

If you find none of the presented results acceptable then it most likely says more about you then about the cases presented.

Consultant-co owner Prohairclinic (FUE only) in Belgium, Dr. De Reys.

"If you find none of the presented results acceptable then it most likely says more about you then about the cases presented."

-I am not so sure.

They are all VERY sparse and none of them look natural. Perhaps this is the nature of FUE but I really doubt that considering I have seen great results from Woods and Feller.

Furthermore, the ones that look that they may be worse than the others are either blurry or darker than the before image or have been shot with a flash.

I simply dont feel confident in his abilities.

The only DR outside of North America I have seen doing decent results are Dr Woods.