Rogaine side effects etc. help

snn

I restarted to use rogaine about 2.5-3 weeks ago. Now I have dandruff problem. I checked on other threads and I found out that there is some kind of a shampoo to solve this problem. How can I get it? And as predicted I had huge amounts of hairloss at the beginning. I know it's a part of the process, it says up to 2 weeks, however, it has been 3 weeks since I started to use it. Does it mean there is something wrong? I am also considering to get Propecia. Is it a good choice among other medications? My hairloss is not very noticeable (I can easily cover my hairless spots with hair) but I am considering a surgery. My doctor told me that It is very early for me and she said that It will only help if I had very noticeable hairloss. I can easily cover my hairless spots with other hairs. Thanks for your help.

I restarted to use rogaine about 2.5-3 weeks ago. Now I have dandruff problem. I checked on other threads and I found out that there is some kind of a shampoo to solve this problem. How can I get it? And as predicted I had huge amounts of hairloss at the beginning. I know it's a part of the process, it says up to 2 weeks, however, it has been 3 weeks since I started to use it. Does it mean there is something wrong? I am also considering to get Propecia. Is it a good choice among other medications? My hairloss is not very noticeable (I can easily cover my hairless spots with hair) but I am considering a surgery. My doctor told me that It is very early for me and she said that It will only help if I had very noticeable hairloss. I can easily cover my hairless spots with other hairs. Thanks for your help.

Nizoral shampoo; 1% can be bought at Wal-mart and the 2% can be bought on line, both are proven as an anti-inflammatory and help remove DHT from the scalp and has the possibility of providing some minor re-growth. I personally use both and buy the 2% from Dr. lee's website. Nioxin shampoo and conditioner is another fine shampoo, they do have various other topicals but I personally didn't find they helped much. As far as Rogaine, I'm not a user but have read the shed can last from a couple of weeks to a couple of months. Rogaine results vary from person to person and it's an unknown if or how it will help until you take the plunge and use it. Propecia is one of the only FDA approved and clinically proven treatments to slow down or stop hair loss with the possibility of re-growth, which I've used for over 3 years with no side effects. They also sell cover ups that seem to work well but this is another area I'm not completely familiar with. Hope this helps!

Smiling & laughing does wonders for the soul!

You require a prescription, I think you can buy it with out, but it's usually more expensive. Any dermatologist (doctor) should be able to prescribe it along with any doctor. I know that a HT surgeon (doctor) will also usually prescribe and some will have it delivered directly to your house (Shapiro medical group does this). Once you have a prescription you can obtain it just about any where there is pharmacy, from Wal-mart to an on line retailer. Personally I would see a qualified doctor and ask them for a prescription. It will generally cost any where from $45-65 depending on the source and if your insurance will help out (most won't). Another alternative is Proscar which is a 5MG form of Propecia (1 MG) tablet that generally is cut up into fourths, this method helps alliviate the high cost but is said not to guarantee to have the medicine evenly distributed throughout the pill. A doctor should prescribe Propecia with out much of a problem, but Proscar might be a little more difficult to obtain but not impossible.

Smiling & laughing does wonders for the soul!

Snn,

I would get on Propecia right away, after checking with your doctor first of course. If you catch your hair loss early enough, you may be able to stop it in it's tracks. Using Rogaine along with Propecia may even give you a bit of regrowth. Many guys use both of them. They have very different methods of action. Propecia is a DHT-inhibitor. In other words, it attacks the root of the problem. Rogaine is more of a growth stimulant. Also, one is an oral medication whereas the other is a topical. Check out the Hairlosslearningcenter.org for an excellent review of hair loss medications.

GuitarPlayer

I started on Rogaine and Propecia about 10-11 weeks ago. I shed quite a bit the first few weeks (very depressing!), but that passed and I'm starting to see new hairs (plus my wife says I don't leave a ton of hair in the sink anymore). Worst case: I've reduced my rate of hair loss considerably.

For you, I don't think I would consider surgery yet. Include Propecia in your regimen and see if that helps. Good luck!