I am 25 years old and over the past three years have lost a lot of my hair. My crown is pretty much bald and my front area is getting there. It has rapidly happend and I am presuming heredity. My self esteem is down the tubes, I am looking for advice on hair replacement.

I am 25 years old and over the past three years have lost a lot of my hair. My crown is pretty much bald and my front area is getting there. It has rapidly happend and I am presuming heredity. My self esteem is down the tubes, I am looking for advice on hair replacement.

Travis-

Welcome to HTN. With the amount of hair you've lost, if I were in your shoes, I'd think about trying Finasteride or Minoxidil to see if either can help you stop the loss and possibly regrow some. There's tons of information on this site on both if you use the "find" feature.

I'd try to stabilize the loss with one of the above recommendations before considering a HT as an option. Then, once you've determined where your at, you could consider consulting with some of the Coalition Surgeons recommended by this site. They are considered by this site to represent the best and finest in the HT industry.

Best of luck to you,

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Travis, I PROMISE it is not as bad as you think to get on propecia. If you do not want to go to your new/normal doc, just go to a walk-in-clinic. In a lot of towns there is one on every other corner. I have been on Propecia since November. Even if you have to go to your new doc, BELIEVE ME, hair loss is NOTHING compare to some of the other things they see come in. I personally just had my first transplant back in December. I know how you feel, believe me. I started losing mine @ 23. It has been almost 4 months (April 19th) and my hair line has already started growing in. I remember having the EXACT same feelings as you... sometimes you just have to say "F" it and do it. I am glad I did.

In this day and age they've likely had the question before and are already prescribing it for someone icon_wink.gif.

Best of luck!

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

Travis,

Welcome to the forums. Hairbank gave you excellent advice. I second what he has to say in your situation.

You can get a prescription for finasteride by consulting with your general practioner, OR you can talk to a hair transplant doctor. As hairbank suggested, I'd stick with the coalition doctors here http://www.hairlosslearningcenter.org/hair-loss-content...s/our_physicians.asp since they will have your long term best interest at heart.

dbk20032002,

Feel free to check out the links below my name for my surgical experiences...they are very detailed and I have a lot of photos from each surgery posted.

Just as we told Travis, however, I will ask you as well...are you on finasteride? How old are you? What's your family pattern of hairloss? Any pictures you are willing to post? It's always a best idea to try medication first (finasteride and maybe minoxodil if you want to try it) in order to at least keep the native hair you have left.

I hope this helps.

Bill

thank you again for being so supportive! I wish I had went on propecia sooner. I will try to get an appointment for next week. Is their a generic, the reason I ask I presume my insurance would not cover it so I want to see how much it is going to cost!

Travis,

Get a prescription for generic proscar either from your general practioner or an HT doc. My insurance covers it and I pay about $10 every 4 months. You have to split the proscar pill into quarters though and take 1/4 a tablet every day. The proscar pill contains 5mg of finasteride as opposed to 1mg (Propecia).

Hope this helps.

Bill