Picked a scab! UH OH!!! Major bleeding!

marcus6838

I was six days post H/T, driving home from work, talking on my cell. The scabs (one in particular) were driving me crazy. So I picked. Very bad move! As I dislodged the scab (which I practically did not feel because of the shock loss) all of the sudden I felt a warm ooze down my face. I quickly hung up and realized that blood was pooring all over me. My shirt was drenched (this is while I'm doing 85 in the left lane). I was lucky enough to have had a role of paper towels in the car. I quickly tore of a couple of sheets and applied it with pressure to my scalp. Within a couple of minutes the paper towels were completely soaked with blood. After a couple of more minutes the bleeding stopped. Blood was everywhere. I did not expect this from a harmless pick. After all this I still had the bulb lodged in my finger nail. It was nasty and pretty thick!

Moral of the story - DON'T PICK!!!!

I was six days post H/T, driving home from work, talking on my cell. The scabs (one in particular) were driving me crazy. So I picked. Very bad move! As I dislodged the scab (which I practically did not feel because of the shock loss) all of the sudden I felt a warm ooze down my face. I quickly hung up and realized that blood was pooring all over me. My shirt was drenched (this is while I'm doing 85 in the left lane). I was lucky enough to have had a role of paper towels in the car. I quickly tore of a couple of sheets and applied it with pressure to my scalp. Within a couple of minutes the paper towels were completely soaked with blood. After a couple of more minutes the bleeding stopped. Blood was everywhere. I did not expect this from a harmless pick. After all this I still had the bulb lodged in my finger nail. It was nasty and pretty thick!

Moral of the story - DON'T PICK!!!!

Yeah, I had a similar experience, but fortunately I was asleep while it happened or else I probably would have really panicked. I woke up one morning to find blood all over the pillow! This was on day three. I felt a little bit of pain right at the very top of my head and so I felt it, and there was a huge mound of scabbed blood. I had evidently picked at it somehow in my sleep and did it ever gush all over the place. As I showered upon waking up, I found the dislodged graft floating in my hands when I shampooed. It definitely freaked me out, but I was certainly far more careful from that point on. I ended up losing only that single graft.

Tedd

I guess it's possible I lost more than than, but I only found one when I shampooed my hair the next morning. There could have been others that I just didn't see. That was the only incident of bleeding I had though, so I know at least that was the only occasion I would have lost any.

Tedd

I guesss what scares me is that there can be lost grafts without bleeding if they are single grafts. The one I lost was a larger one (3 or 4). That's why there was so much bleeding. On the single hair grafts, the bulbs are much thinner, thus, less or no bleeding. I think I might have picked 1 or 2 in the front and dislodged them. I saw the thin bulb. I know. I'M AN IDIOT! But they were driving me nuts! HOwever, after the major bleeding incident, I was much more careful.

Thanks for your response.

I was talking to my girlfriend of the moment and not thinking about my new grafts when I absentmindedly began to pick at the pesky scabs that remained at around day three or so. Moments later, I felt that same trickle of blood like you, which ran all the way down to my neck. I threw the phone down and rushed to a mirror and saw how I had stupidly pulled out two very dear units from the middle area of my scalp. I stopped the bleeding, then tried to put the one I could find back in. It is impossible to do. Then I proceeded to fight back tears!

Shortly after my second procedure, I stupidy went before a mirror and thought that my hair would look better if it were combed. I learned, after disloding one dear trooper, that one should NEVER comb his hair until the scabs are long, LONG Gone.

When I do my third, I plan on losing none. We'll see.

Driving 85 with, while having a cellphone call, may result in much more bleeding than picking at one scab if you ask me.

"There are only 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary, and those who don't..."