What if I shave my head ?

I had transplants done back in the 90's when they were using punch graphs. Then in 2001 I had corrective surgery to move my hairline back. Now I am losing a good amount of the transplanted hair. It looks terrible, and I have very little donor area left.

Is shaving my head an option or would that just make matters worse ?

I had transplants done back in the 90's when they were using punch graphs. Then in 2001 I had corrective surgery to move my hairline back. Now I am losing a good amount of the transplanted hair. It looks terrible, and I have very little donor area left.

Is shaving my head an option or would that just make matters worse ?

I dont see how it could make things worse. If anything i think it would be better. my opinion only, but when i see person w/ a shaved head i dont take a 2nd look, but because im also losing my hair everytime i see someone with thining hair i actually say to myself how much better would that person look if they just shaved. I do have a scar on the back of my head but am more comfortable showing that than my thinning hair. If your embaressed about the scar just tell people its an old war scar or you wrestle alligators or something. Girls love those stories.LOL!

gak555,

Welcome to our community.

I'm sorry to hear about your bad hair transplant experience.

Understand that if you shave your head, any scarring you received from surgery will be revealed. If you are ok with this, by all means, feel free to shave your head to see how it looks.

Have you considered consulting with one of our coalition doctors? Hair transplantation has come a long way since the 90s and a quality HT physician may be able to help you.

I hope this helps.

Bill

gak,

Is all the transplanted hair miniaturizing?

It might be possible to break up some of the punch grafts and relocated the hairs into the donor scars. This would not entirely conceal the scarring if the head was shaved, but it could break it up a bit and hopefully draw attention away from the problem. This idea hinges on the premise that some of the old grafts still have viable hairs for redistribution.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.