New forum member with a few questions

Cyberdud

Hi all. This is a great site for information about hair loss. I want to thank all who have contributed for such open and frank dialogue. I am glad I found you.

I am noticing a few common themes in much of the discussion, and so have a few questions. To provide some initial background, I am 38 years old and have been losing my hair since I was 18. I am a 5A on the hair loss scale and have never taken any medications (topical or otherwise) for my hair loss. I have a wonderful wife of over 15 years who, like me, would rather I had hair but is not terribly disturbed by the fact that I don't. I have just recently been considering taking action on my hair loss, though I do not yet know what that action may or may not be. I may simply shave my head and call it good. However, if given my preference I would have hair and so have started researching. My initial research has lead me here. My questions are:

1) It seems that many (dare I say most) on the site are on current regimens of various medication. I am currently on none, and am not particularly interested in starting. Are they truly necessary? If I ultimately decide on HT surgery, should I expect having to take hair loss medication thereafter?

2) Many on this site have had multiple HT surgeries. I am curious as to why. Is that due to additional hair loss, perhaps from having the first surgery too soon? Or is that the "norm"? At 38 and already a 5A how much additional hair loss should I expect? I am not a big fan of any type of surgery and would hate to find myself in the position where I have to return in a few years time.

3) Dr. Shapiro appears to be a forum favorite. Can anyone provide any reason why someone in my position should not speak with him? As has been mentioned, many great physicians occasionally have poor results due to circumstances beyond their control. Has that yet happened with Dr. Shapiro?

Cyberdud,

Welcome, hope we can help you here. OK, your 38, a 5A with good donor area in the sides and back.

The regimen for most is of course, Propecia and Minoxidil. We take this crap because we are scared to lose more hair as you may be. It does help stop hairloss and in some cases regrow a little bit. Most of us would be thrilled if it just halts the progression.

At 38, you are old enough to get HT and may be a great candidate.

The reasons many of us go several times has to do with:

Hair greed, we want more.

Financial constraints, it is expensive.

Laxity issues, so the donor area heals well with a thin scar.

A conservative approach, we want to touch up if neccesary, areas you may want to improve after you previous HT grows out.

It is hard to predict the outcome of any HT so it is wise to have a little donor hair is reserve in case. That said, many go for a mega session and look great after one pass, never to return for more. Personal choice.

Dr. Shapiro is world class and is known for great hairline artistry. Check with B-Spot, a great guy who know his stuff and has experience with Shapiro. Check his extensive photo journey, he was a NW 5A approaching 6. (Keep your sunglasses handy or turn down your screen brightness, major glare!) icon_wink.gif Just kidding B!

NoBuzz

Welcome Cyberdud,

Nobuzz gave great advice.

The first thing to do is to get on Finasteride to stop the hair loss and/or even regrow some.

In a perfect world most of us would prefer to get only one HT, I was a good candidate for just one but I only found this wonderful forum after my first HT icon_frown.gif so I had to go in for a second HT.

My recommendation:

- Take Finasteride for 6 months to 1 year to see your results, keep in mind that if you respond well you'll have to take it for the rest of your life if you want to maintain your hair.

- In the meantime read and research patients and Dr's on this forum so you can make the best educated decision

Dr. Shapiro is one of the superstar HT MD's, check with other coalition Docs to get different perspectives and you'll come to making the best educated decision.