Hair Loss Never Ends

I have a male pattern baldness like my dad. I am Norwood Class 3 and seems like progressing in to class 4. I got first HT couple of months ago on front which looks fine so far. I am very worried about hairs on my back and top of head are also thinning icon_mad.gif, so by the time my Transplaned hair grows i will look bald again. I think i will never enjoy full head of hair (DO YOU GUYS FEEL THE SAME WAY I DO ?). i am taking finastride 1mg by cipla (bought it from india by my relative so it can not be fake) from last 5 months. i do not know if finasteride is helping or not. I am very concern about hair and what should i do? i do not want to loose hair anymore.

Any medication or herbs or vitamins i can add?

#1 HT by Dr. Rahal on 08-21-08

Strip 26.6 cm

Total 4308 grafts

-1116 single grafts

-2287 double grafts

-898 triple grafts

-7 quad grafts

Total Hairs: 8412

Medications:

Minoxidil 5%

Finasteride 1 mg daily

I have a male pattern baldness like my dad. I am Norwood Class 3 and seems like progressing in to class 4. I got first HT couple of months ago on front which looks fine so far. I am very worried about hairs on my back and top of head are also thinning icon_mad.gif, so by the time my Transplaned hair grows i will look bald again. I think i will never enjoy full head of hair (DO YOU GUYS FEEL THE SAME WAY I DO ?). i am taking finastride 1mg by cipla (bought it from india by my relative so it can not be fake) from last 5 months. i do not know if finasteride is helping or not. I am very concern about hair and what should i do? i do not want to loose hair anymore.

Any medication or herbs or vitamins i can add?

#1 HT by Dr. Rahal on 08-21-08

Strip 26.6 cm

Total 4308 grafts

-1116 single grafts

-2287 double grafts

-898 triple grafts

-7 quad grafts

Total Hairs: 8412

Medications:

Minoxidil 5%

Finasteride 1 mg daily

om- I hope you will at least enjoy the new head of hair for a little while once it grows in. And remember, you are not even at the three month mark. Give it a little more time before you begin to worry about the future, which we have no control over anyway.

Guys like us will continue to lose hair for the rest of our lives--that is a given. My goal was to get back a hairline and hopefully have it hold me over for (ever if possible) at least the next 10+ years. I realized that I would continue to lose hair, but hopefully this would get me back ten years hair wise.

Losing hair sucks, but you have taken the right steps to maintain what you have and added the HT to that equation. You are taking the right med (fin) and added the minoxidil. Everything else will just empty your pockets. Just commit to it on a daily basis.

Keep your head up and be prepared to start seeing your new hair pop out.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Hair loss is progressive. This is true. It is important for patients to know this. The last thing a person wants to do is have surgery after surgery without really getting the appearance of more hair.

That being said, most patients with hair loss do not progress to a Norwood class 7. Many patients with a 3V pattern, for example, are destined to reach a class 5 (or perhaps 6). That might not be a happy thought but, once the patient and doctor know the worse-case-scenario, planning is possible. Furthmore, meds can retard the progression and "buy time." It sounds to me like you may be experiencing early loss in your crown area. First, remember there is still hair there. So, enjoy it and try not to worry about what may be. Second, since your first transplant is turning out well, know that, if need be, you can likely have work in the crown.

As previously mentioned, Minoxidil is often a good topical to add to the mix. You might also talk to your doctor about incorporating Nizoral shampoo.

I think you will start to feel better about everything over the next few months as the growth from your new transplant starts to kick in.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.