ht #2 a question regarding to fue procedures

i have a question connected to fue procedure

after fue procefure if i will want to do a strip transplant is the strip could be taken from the same donor area

that we used for the fue? and same question regarding to fue is the fue could be taken from the same donor area?

is the donor area is unlimited if im doing fue?

i have a question connected to fue procedure

after fue procefure if i will want to do a strip transplant is the strip could be taken from the same donor area

that we used for the fue? and same question regarding to fue is the fue could be taken from the same donor area?

is the donor area is unlimited if im doing fue?

Aviran,

The donor area simply refers to the "safe zone" area where follicular unit grafts are taken from the sides and back of your head. Ultimately it is one donor area however both surgeries are performed very differently.

I must ask though...why are you considering FUE if you are thinking about getting strip later? Most people who consider FUE are concerned about the linear scar that strip surgery creates. FUE does create scarring of a different kind as individual follicular unit grafts are extracted one at a time from the donor area. They are spread out enough where the scarring will be masked by other hairs.

In either procedure, in the hands of a quality hair restoration physicians, often either type of scar is minimal.

Learn more about Strip Verses FUE

Bill

Firstly, the donor area is limited regardless of whether you opt for FUE or traditional strip harvesting. With FUE there is more flexibility in terms of where you harvest from because there is no risk of stretch back.

FUE does reduce the follicular density of the donor. Therefore if you proceeded with a strip harvest after FUE, you may not get as many strip grafts. Silvering and dissecting grafts from strip tissue that has been FUEed does not necessarily complicate the process if the prior extraction were done well.

If you are definitely planning a strip after your FUE, let your doctor know. Depending on the number FUEs you desire, the surgeon may be able to spread the extractions out over the donor zone and still avoid the area where the donor ellipse will likely be harvested from during the strip surgery. Sorry if that is convoluted explanation! My main point is that if you remove tissue for a strip, you should (if possible) leave the density in that area alone in order to max out the graft yield. Why? If you no other reason, strip grafts are less expensive and grow as well as FUEs. Also, harvesting the same area two times is just redundant.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.