New member looking for suggestions

Hi,I'm a new poster, but I've been reading the boards as a non-member for a while now. As many of you would understand this is not an easy subject to talk to people about. Thankfully all the member seem very supportive. I'm 35 now and have been losing hair for at least eight years. I've got baby fine hair in the crown and unfortunately one temple is far more advaced than the other so it looks odd. I've been on Propecia for about 10 months now with no real change. I guess that's good and bad. I've scheduled a consult with Dr. Bernstein next saturday since many think he is a good initial consult. I've printed out a question sheet from WebMD to ask him during the consult and even talk to a member of the forum about his proceedure. I would like some advice on what more to do. I live in NY so I'm thinking of contacting Dr. Feller and Dr. True as well. Sadly, my family thinks this is some sort of joke, and friends who I talk to about it seem uncomfortable. I get into the rollercoaster of feeling better than really bad about the situation. Today is not one of the good days, my barber really buzzed my hair and it's got me angry and self-concious.

Are there any Bernstein patients who would care to share their experience?

Thanks in advance, hopefully in two years I will be one of the members calming the nerves of new posters like myself. Forgive any bad spelling please.

Hi,I'm a new poster, but I've been reading the boards as a non-member for a while now. As many of you would understand this is not an easy subject to talk to people about. Thankfully all the member seem very supportive. I'm 35 now and have been losing hair for at least eight years. I've got baby fine hair in the crown and unfortunately one temple is far more advaced than the other so it looks odd. I've been on Propecia for about 10 months now with no real change. I guess that's good and bad. I've scheduled a consult with Dr. Bernstein next saturday since many think he is a good initial consult. I've printed out a question sheet from WebMD to ask him during the consult and even talk to a member of the forum about his proceedure. I would like some advice on what more to do. I live in NY so I'm thinking of contacting Dr. Feller and Dr. True as well. Sadly, my family thinks this is some sort of joke, and friends who I talk to about it seem uncomfortable. I get into the rollercoaster of feeling better than really bad about the situation. Today is not one of the good days, my barber really buzzed my hair and it's got me angry and self-concious.

Are there any Bernstein patients who would care to share their experience?

Thanks in advance, hopefully in two years I will be one of the members calming the nerves of new posters like myself. Forgive any bad spelling please.

Hey Mr. Joe, I just submitted an online consultation today myself. I'd appreciate if you could point me to that WedMD list o' questions.

I've about run out of my own questions, but this is the time to think of everything I can, since I'm fixing to pull the trigger soon.

thx,

mark h

I wouldn't worry too much about questions. The slimey doctors will just lie to you anyway. The key is to go to a reputable and ethical doctor. Then just ask questions that would interest you like density, coverage, recovery time, lifelong plan, number of hair transplants needed, etc.

All of the doctors you mentioned above are reputable and ethical. Dr. Feller will give you better density. Dr. Bernstein and Dr. True are excellent also, but with a more conservative approach in terms of density.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery

Mr. Joe:

I had some repair work done and about 2,400 graft with Bernstein and I am very pleased. I am at 6 months but everything looks very natural. I am a slow grower and expect that in another 3 months I can give you a better sense of the finnished product. I know folks on this forum think Bernstein is not aggessive enough but if you read the blog on his web site he gives good answers to his approach to the process. The doctors recommended on this site all appear to be very good. New York was conveinent for me plus Bernstien was rated the best ht doc in NY 7 years straight by NY magazine. I know some of these surveys are stacked at times but I felt comfortable with Bernstein and met with him 3 times at no cost before the surgery. There are no consultants or assistants that meet with you. My repair work is incredble by the way. I was watching a video of a speech I gave 20 years ago this weekend. Your coments about the way you are balding hit home. In looking at the video I realized that the balding did not look all that natural. In fact my new growth looks much more natural than my natural balding pattern, if that is possible. Staff and Bernstein were very professional. Having said all the above,there are many excellent doctors, talk to several and take a look at their work and make a decision that works for you. Bernstein reminded me of a person you just goes about doing this in a very workman-like fashion with out a lot of fanfare. Basically, that is how I tried to handle this. Surgery is a big deal but in the hands of a top HT doc, it really is not. All do great scars, as best I can tell. Good luck to you.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Mark H, I'm trying to find the adobe question list fir surgery from webmd. It's taking some time. If I can't find it I'll email it to you if you want.

Wesley949, please keep me posted. Do you have any pictures you can share of pre-op and current regrowth? Thanks,

Mr. Joe

Sorry Mr. Joe, I'm still in the nervous nelly pre surgery days.

I've just put in for a consultation.

However, I think it likely that I'll go through with a first procedure, and rather sooner than later.

I shouldn't be so lazy though. I'll take a look over at WebMD myself too.

cheers,

mark h

Mark H, I know how you feel. My concern isn't the surgery so much as it is dreading being told there isn't enough donor hair to really do anything. As for being lazy, I waited a year then only started really looking since May. I'm optimistic about it though icon_smile.gif

And we have a really good forum here. Some of the ones I've found out there are just terrible. Kudos to Pat.

Mr. Joe

My strong suggestion is to consult several HT docs. The doctors routinely listed here is a great place to start. I had three comsults before I decided the best for me was Dr. Hasson in Vancouver. I have been pleased with my results so far.Whomever you decide to have do your work, you have to be in complete agreement of your goals and to have realistic expectations. Good luck, better to over-do the research than to be unhappy with a rushed decision. Cheers

HT#1 4944FU 23May06-Hasson

HT#2 1960FU 16Jan07- Hasson

6904 Total FU, 13160 Hairs

2184-1's, 3184-2's, 1536-3's

Hi

Meet the doctors before you commit. Find one which you feel comfortable with and who obviously is a coalition doctor. You hear the same docs mentioned on here with many satisfied patients. I am one of them with 2893 HT's ( 1417 and 1476) at the hands of Dr. True.. 7 months into the 2nd procedure it is nice to be growing hair instead of losing it .. That's a damn good feeling and a hellofa better feeling than anxiety. I'm not by any means selling the fact of getting a HT but it made me feel a lot better about myself

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Mr.joe:

Right now it is easier for me to just send some pics directly to you. I have to study to figure out how to post pictures which I will do eventually. Just send me a private message with your email address and I will shoot some pictures off to you. I have not kept great pictures of the progress as some have done. Also, I have not asked family members to take pictures so they were all taken by me but I think it will give you a sense of where I was and where I am at 6 months.

mr. joe,

Continue your course of action - Research, ask questions on this forum and go to as many consultations as you need to.

Something that struck me in your post: Your family thinks it is a joke and your friends are uncomfortable talking about it. This is understandable. It is not happening to them. Or maybe they feel that you we're all victims of genetics, or that looks aren't important. But it is your hair, your money and your decision. Make an imformed decision and don't worry about what those around you think. When you get a great hair restoration, they will all be envious.