hair growth 101

Hey everyone,

As my hair is just starting to sprout here & there & I am getting the pimple type things, I am curious about how hair grows through the skin.

A) Does the transplanted follicle create a pore, if you will, that the hair shaft will emerge from?

Or

B) Is the follicle buried under the healed skin then the hair just grows through the skin?

I feel a pushing or sometimes pulsating sensation in my recipient area. ( especially when my wife is giving ) icon_wink.gif

Just wondering if anyone had an answere to this.

If it is "B" I can see why there would be irritations & such.

thanks,

Hey everyone,

As my hair is just starting to sprout here & there & I am getting the pimple type things, I am curious about how hair grows through the skin.

A) Does the transplanted follicle create a pore, if you will, that the hair shaft will emerge from?

Or

B) Is the follicle buried under the healed skin then the hair just grows through the skin?

I feel a pushing or sometimes pulsating sensation in my recipient area. ( especially when my wife is giving ) icon_wink.gif

Just wondering if anyone had an answere to this.

If it is "B" I can see why there would be irritations & such.

thanks,

I just got back from seeing my doctor for my 3 month follow up. She did mention to me that if my head developed a lot of pimples to call in and she would prescribe some tetracycline. So, I would check with your doctor and see what he thinks. I do know that the red little bumps means the hairs are trying to pop through. I'm pretty sure my doctor didn't mean little red spots or bumps. Only if they actually turn into large pimples with white heads. I'm sure the people who have gone through several transplants and have a lot of experience will give you further advise. Good luck with your hair growth, sounds like you're on your way.

How funny you should bring this up now. I was just speaking to one of the surgeons my wife works with about the exact same question. He explained that no, the natural "pores" are not formed around transplanted hair follicles from the incisions. The new hair has to break through just like grass growing through concrete. Eventually, as the hair grows and matures, a more normal "pore" does develop simply out of necessity, but it just takes a little time.

Jrbrass, thanks for your post,

At this point the red bumps seem to come & go.

No white heads or anything.

Good luck to you as well!

Pushing 40, wow I thought I was the only thinking about this!

It.s hard to believe that those fine little hairs can pop through the skin!.

It makes a lot of sense that after the hair matures a pore will develop.

Thats what I love about this forum.

Throw a question down & someone has alraedy experienced it & someone always has the right answere!

Thanks guys!

Mellonhead, @ 6 months you should see some activity.

Some people do see growth activity @ 3 months.

Sometimes it just takss longer.

Who was your doctor?

How many grafts?

folica,

As already been stated...it's B.

There is no pore that is creates itself before the hair penetrates through the skin. It sort of has to force itself through, hence some of the ingrown hairs we experience. But rest assured...they WILL come through the skin. icon_smile.gif

Melonhead,

I agree with Folica...MOST people see SOME growth activity by now, though there are some people who are very late bloomers.

BUT...

If you just had a procedure in February, you are only JUST 5 months along. If you had a procedure in March, you are JUST 4 months along.

I encourage you to give it time my friend...that's all you can do right now. The wait is the hardest part!

When did you have your surgery and who was your doctor?

Bill