itchy recipient area

i had a hair transplant not so long ago and still have scabs on the incisions, which are really making me itch. Can somebody please give me some advice as to what a suitable product would be to relieve the damned itching?

Many Thanks

johnno

i had a hair transplant not so long ago and still have scabs on the incisions, which are really making me itch. Can somebody please give me some advice as to what a suitable product would be to relieve the damned itching?

Many Thanks

johnno

Guest Cousin_It

What shampoo are you using, some are better than others. Also how long ago was your surgery and how much scabbing do you still have?

Guest Cousin_It

johnno...

That type of shampoo is a good choice. I personally still use it and its been 2 months since my surgery. No reason to use anything harsh since you are washing daily.

As far as the scabbing they should be gone by now, but there are a few things I recommend, which I personally did myself, that may help you out.

I will assume you wash you hair daily. Prior to washing I would cover the recipient area with a conditioner for about 15 minutes to soften things, then I would wash normally. One other thing I did was place drop of baby oil on the scabs at bedtime to soften them during the night. In less than two weeks I was scab free.

ok, thanks for ur advice it is very much appreciated. I had micro and mini grafts; maybe that is why i still got the scabs because that procedure is not as good as the latest techniques and old school. I now know this from visiting this site. It's just a pity i hadn't done my reasearch beforehand, and i am fortunate enough to still have quite a bit of donor hair left for more surgery with the latests techniques!!

As far as the scabbing they should be gone by now, but there are a few things I recommend, which I personally did myself, that may help you out.

I agree with what Cousin_It said. It's very common for patients to be over careful with the transplanted hairs. You should resume normal washing by day 7 and to help get the scabs off, you should massage with your finger tips (don't use your nails) in a circular motion using shampoo to help get them off. Additionally, when I get out of the shower I look in the mirror and since the scabs are moist, I have just used my finger tips to gently work the scabs off by repeating the circular motion until the scabs come off. All my scabs were gone by about day 10, maybe day 9 for my third HT.

Regarding irritation and itching...I find aloe gel works well, if you don't mind your scalp being a little green. It's has a nice soothing feel and minimizes the itch significantly, plus it also moisturizes the scalp.

Bill

Hi Johnno,

Two other things not mentioned above that Dr. True recommends include soaking your head in a warm bath for 15 - 20 minutes from day 8 post-op forward and then gently massaging/washing the scabs with Head & Shoulders for Fine/Oily Hair. Obviously a long soak will REALLY soften up scabs and dandruff shampoo helps reduce itching. I followed these recommendations after my three hair transplants and they worked well for me. Peace.

GratefulHead