On Proscar (generic) but still losing hair...

userdefined

Hi everyone,

I've been using a product called Fincar (it's just generic proscar) for about 6-8 months now. I didn't experience much hairloss for the majority of this time, but for the past month or so I've been noticing I've been shedding A LOT of hair mainly around the crown. Is there any reason the drug may have stopped working?

FYI, I'm 22 years old. I cut a 5mg Finasteride into 4 pieces, making daily dosage 1.25 mg's. Also, I take the 1/4 pill right before bedtime, which as of late has been at around 4am...

Thanks in advance.

ud.

HT1 - 2088 grafts w/ Dr. James DeYarman 12-11-2006.

Daily Routine - 1.25 mg Fincar (Generic Proscar)

Hi everyone,

I've been using a product called Fincar (it's just generic proscar) for about 6-8 months now. I didn't experience much hairloss for the majority of this time, but for the past month or so I've been noticing I've been shedding A LOT of hair mainly around the crown. Is there any reason the drug may have stopped working?

FYI, I'm 22 years old. I cut a 5mg Finasteride into 4 pieces, making daily dosage 1.25 mg's. Also, I take the 1/4 pill right before bedtime, which as of late has been at around 4am...

Thanks in advance.

ud.

Hi UD

I'm sure you know this, but finasteride is not a cure for hair loss. Unfortunately, the drug does nothing with the cause of hair loss. It can be that it is not potent enough to reverse further hair shedding.

userdefined,

Where are you buying your generic proscar? I only ask because personally I am learly of buying any medications online.

Jen is right...finasteride is not a cure for hair loss...

And when we are talking about the root cause of hair loss....Jen is also correct....it doesn't do anything to stop the cause of hair loss, genetically speaking...

But it does attempt to minimize DHT - a hormone that impacts hairs genetically predisposed to hair loss.

I digress...

If you are indeed taking legitimate finasteride, I'd suggest consulting with a doctor to see about upping your dosage or possibly considering dudasteride.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Originally posted by Bill:

userdefined,

Where are you buying your generic proscar? I only ask because personally I am learly of buying any medications online.

Bill

Sorry I didn't reply earlier; I usually get responses directed toward my inbox. Anyway, you're correct, i bought it online at inhousepharmacy.com. It came listed as Fincar, which is the same product but made by pharmaceutical company Cipla in India (Indian patent laws cover the process by which a product is made, not the final product itself). BTW I have bought 1 or 2 other non-hair loss drugs on the site and those were legit.

I will definitely look into other hair loss products..thanks you two.

userdefined,

I have strong reservations about buying any medication online to be honest.

WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get) doesn't always apply...and it's a bit scary.

Get on Propecia or Proscar and see if that makes any difference. If it does, then what you were taking may not have been finasteride.

I don't mean to scare you...but I do intend to caution you.

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Get on Propecia or Proscar and see if that makes any difference. If it does, then what you were taking may not have been finasteride.

I agree with Bill. I heard several times, that generic versions sometimes are not as effective as brands.

After doing some research and discussing this topic with Pat, the Publisher of this Community, we have come to believe that there are some online stores that sell legitimate online medication.

One must be careful though - because there are a number of unethical and untrustworthy companies out there offering non-legitimate products.

To learn more about where to buy legitimate generic medication, see the following thread.

Cheers,

Bill

I too was using generic Proscar. 5mg cut into quarters. I didn't get it online, I got it from my pharmacist. I also noticed I was losing more hair, where before my hair count was maintained. I've since gone back to the brand name, though I fear it's too late. I think my last transplant from November is now wasted. I think I lost my non transplanted hair while on the generic pill rendering this transplant worthless.

userdefined,

Jen is right...finasteride is not a cure for hair loss...

What is the differnce though between them?

And when we are talking about the root cause of hair loss....Jen is also correct....it doesn't do anything to stop the cause of hair loss, genetically speaking...

But it does attempt to minimize DHT - a hormone that impacts hairs genetically predisposed to hair loss.

I digress...

If you are indeed taking legitimate finasteride, I'd suggest consulting with a doctor to see about upping your dosage or possibly considering dudasteride.

I hope this helps.

Bill