Help - Losing Transplanted Hair

I am a NW7 and have had 3 transplants. I started taking propecia about 5 yrs ago.

Although a 7 I had very good coverage and looking back - very satisfied.

Recently I started losing testosterone. I suspected this and stopped propecia for a month because I read on the net that it could cause low T (a mistake). This didn't help so I started back taking it. I then noticed my hair started to thin in the transplanted area. Back on propecia for a month and a doctor finally diagnosed low T. He thought propecia may be causing this so i got off again for 2 motnhs. The T levels dropped badly so concluded propecia not the cause. I restarted propecia and by now I have kept losing hair and it is very noticeable and still losing. Have been back on propecia 6 weeks (as well and testosterone replacement for 6 weeks) and still losing hair. My fringe (back/sides)hair also thinned as might be expected for a NW7. I think some of the transplanted hair came from the donor that would have thinned if I had not been on propecia for years. (Apparently propecia was working well for me.)I also started rogain foam in crown area for 6 weeks.

Any ideas if the hair I lost will come back by keeping the propecia going?

Any suggestions to further block DHT in scalp?

Comments, opinions, and suggestions are most appreciated.

I am a NW7 and have had 3 transplants. I started taking propecia about 5 yrs ago.

Although a 7 I had very good coverage and looking back - very satisfied.

Recently I started losing testosterone. I suspected this and stopped propecia for a month because I read on the net that it could cause low T (a mistake). This didn't help so I started back taking it. I then noticed my hair started to thin in the transplanted area. Back on propecia for a month and a doctor finally diagnosed low T. He thought propecia may be causing this so i got off again for 2 motnhs. The T levels dropped badly so concluded propecia not the cause. I restarted propecia and by now I have kept losing hair and it is very noticeable and still losing. Have been back on propecia 6 weeks (as well and testosterone replacement for 6 weeks) and still losing hair. My fringe (back/sides)hair also thinned as might be expected for a NW7. I think some of the transplanted hair came from the donor that would have thinned if I had not been on propecia for years. (Apparently propecia was working well for me.)I also started rogain foam in crown area for 6 weeks.

Any ideas if the hair I lost will come back by keeping the propecia going?

Any suggestions to further block DHT in scalp?

Comments, opinions, and suggestions are most appreciated.

Tough case.

Off the cuff, I'd suggest that cold-turkey quitting of Finasteride probably isn't a good idea in general. Tapering off is good.

There's a halfway common opinion that Spironolactone (topically applied, forget about oral if you wanna stay a man) will block scalp DHT pretty well. But it really stinks like rotten eggs and it's generally not a fun regimen.

------------------------------------------------

SouthCarolina,

I would say welcome to our community, but based on your registration date, your time here pe-dates mine icon_wink.gif. So I'll say "Welcome BACK to our community".

In addition to noticing some thinning in the transplanted hairs, have you noticed any thinning in the donor area?

There have been numerous discussions recently about the "safe zone" and whether or not it really exists.

It is possible as one gets older that this "safe zone" could potentially thin out as one loses testosterone. If that happens, then certainly some transplanted hairs could thin out as well.

This is why some doctors recommend the use of finasteride even in the later years of life for those who have experienced thinning/balding.

You may want to try adding Nizoral 2% shampoo 2-3 times a week or Revita shampoo daily which contains ketoconazole which may help minimized DHT to the scalp.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Bill

Yes I did experience some general thinning in the donor and maybe a little more on the sides.

Since I am a NW7, it appears like a natural progression that would have taken place if I had not been on propecia. I was holding up very well up until I stopped (as explained above) for a few months.

I got some Nizoral 1% and started on that. I am going to call my dermatologist to get a script for the 2% next week.

I appreciate the post Bill! icon_smile.gif

Has anyone been on propecia and stopped ... experienced some hair loss and started back? If so ... did your hair return and how long did it take?

SouthCarolina,

Donor thinning would explain the thinning in your recipient area as well.

Add Nizoral 2% to your regime as you stated, and continue Propecia.

Experientially, I have not stopped and restarted the medication, but I believe if it was working once, it should work again just as it worked the first time.

Bill

Dear SC,

You mention going to a physician but not if it is your primary care or a Urologist? You may want to discuss Avodart(dutasteride)if you are taking Testoserone replacement.

Propecia (finasteride). Propecia blocks about 70-77% and Avodart blocks about 92-98%. I think the biggest issue is the half life, it stays in your system for weeks vs hours.

I know there are lots of patients who have switched to this option without a problem. Side effects are similar to finasteride. Worth exploring.

Just a suggestion to explore.

Best wishes,

Ailene

Ailene Russell, NCMA

Dr. Jerry Cooley's personal assistant and clinical supervisor for Carolina Dermatology Haircenter. My postings are my own opinion and may not reflect Dr. Cooley's opinion on any subject discussed.

Dr. Jerry Cooley is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

• 2 weeks later...

South carolina, If propecia was not the culprit for your low T levels what did the doctor tell you caused it?

I am not going to tell you the doctor is wrong, but with any medical issue I believe a second opinion is a must.

Just my opinon based on my experiences with doctors diagnosis.

Test & diagnosis can vary greatly.