Product Review: Nanogen

As you may have seen in my previous posts, I became a fan of concealers when my crown area began thinning a few years ago. Though I have had a successful hair transplant that concentrated on the hair line and forelock (as detailed in my Hair Loss Weblog; click the link in my signature), I am hesitant to pursue another procedure that will put grafts into my crown for fear of shock loss, future thinning, and limited donor area. As many have learned the hard way, the crown can be a real "black hole" for grafts.

I am currently on a medicinal regimen of Avodart and 5% minoxidil that shows promise in continuing to thicken up my crown and vertex area, but as you probably know from your own experience, it is slow-going. It is for that reason that I looked to concealers to mask the diffuse thinning.

In the past, I have used Toppik, Couvre', and Dermmatch in the past, all with good success. Each has had their ups and downs but I have found that each can perform a sufficient job of concealing my hair loss with varying degrees of difficulty in application.

Nanogen fibers are closely related to that of Toppik. Both claim to be tiny fibers that electrostatically(sp?) bond to the individuals hairs, actually giving the appearance of not just a "painted scalp" but thicker, fuller hair.

After using Toppik for quite some time and hearing from others that Nonogen is a little better I decided to give it the ol' "Pepsi Challenge." Here is what I thought:

Nanogen is applied in the exact same way as Toppik. You tap the container over thinning spots to fill them in. Niether will work on completely bald spots. They have to have something to cling to. Both can be messy since those microfibers get everywhere. I found that Nanogen seemed slightly less messy but that may just be that I have gotten to be a pro at limiting the mess with Toppik.

Messiness of application

Nanogen - Tie - 0

Toppik - Tie - 0

Both companies try to sell you a fiber holding spray that is basically just hair spray. If I remember correctly, they want around $7 or $8 for this stuff. I use a bottle of Herbal Essence hair spray that I "borrowed" from an ex girlfriend sometime last year. Works just fine. Just spritz a little on and you're fine.

Hokey sprays

Nanogen - Tie - 0

Toppik - Tie - 0

When I applied the Nanogen this morning, the first thing I noticed is that it actually appeared to give my hair "lift" right away. Toppik just kind of sits on the hair until you pat it in, thus making more of a mess on your bathroom floor. You still have to pat a little, but not as much and it looks fuller. Plus, it seemed like I used a bit less of this than I usually do of Toppik. That's a big plus, as this stuff isn't terribly expensive, but it isn't cheap either.

Initial appearance after application

Nanogen - 1

Toppik - 0

The trouble with these "shake on" concealers is that if you aren't careful around the hairline it can accumulate there, making it look like you have dirt in your hair. I always just wipe away an residue with a damp towel. Nanogen does this the same as Toppik, but it didn't seem to do so as much. It seemed like more actually clung to the hairs at my hairline.

Accumulation at hair line

Nanogen - 1

Toppik - 0

Luckily for my little test, today was a windy day and I was outside a good bit. Every time I checked, my hair looked fine. Wear all day hasn't seemed to blow any of the particles away. Toppik is good for this too, however.

Staying with you all day

Nanogen - Tie - 0

Toppik - Tie - 0

I am lucky in that I have dark brown hair. The dark brown colors on both products match almost perfectly. To ensure I get a consistent match all over is to make sure I sprinkle a little bit all over my hair, even on parts that aren't thin. This makes any dissimilarities minute at most. Both Toppik and Nanogen are good for this. I have heard nothing but complaints from blonde Toppik users. I have heard nothing at all from blonde Nanogen users.

Color matching (your mileage may vary)

Nanogen - Tie - 0

Toppik - Tie - 0

I have always been impressed with Toppik's shipping time. It has never been more than 3 business days from my order to the time I recieved the product. Nanogen took 6, if memory serves me correctly. I always use the cheapest shipping option because I am cheap and that is what I do. icon_smile.gif

Snail mail shippers

Nanogen - 0

Toppik - 1

Finally, since I am so cheap I like to look at price. For two similar items the price should be similar.

For a one month supply of Toppik + cheapest available shipping (says 7-10 business days but I always get it in 3) is $19.95 + $4.95 = $24.90.

For a one month supply of Nanogen + cheapest available shipping (UPS Ground; 7-10 busines days; I got mine in 6) is $19.95 + $7.00 = $26.95.

So Nanogen is a bit more expensive just for shipping. However, you can save a good chunk of change with both companies through saved shipping and product by buying in bulk. I like to buy in 3 month supplies. It's worth it. 'Specially for you cheapies like me. icon_biggrin.gif

Shipping

Nanogen - 0

Toppik - 1 (But basically a tie)

Conclusion

Ok, we aren't talking "Camaro" to "Mustang" here. More like "Camaro" to "Firebird." There are some differences, but its basically the same product. I think I may prefer Nanogen just because it seems to give a little extra body to my hair, or maybe I was just having a good hair day. Who knows? I'll go with the Nano for a while to see if I change my mind. Bottom line: If I run out and need some quick, Toppik is going to be my weapon of choice. If I am just ordering some more because I am running short but have enough for the next week or so, I'll probably go with Nanogen.

Hope this was useful for you guys!

-Robert

------------------------------

Check out the results of my surgical hair restoration performed by Dr. Jerry Cooley by visiting my Hair Loss Weblog

• 2 years later...

well that sure is a long way to say that there's not much difference. im joking, nice work.

ive been asking in another topic whether you have any before or after pictures of nanogen? the ones on their website look good but id rather see ones submitted from a forum user

i'll have a look around and will post some if i find some that look genuine

DT

Personally I like Dermatch the best

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

• 3 weeks later...

I swear by Nanogen & use it every day

(took a girl out on a date a few months back & got asked for ID on the door to prove i was over 18 icon_biggrin.gif )

Things that ive found with it:

For V.thin areas instead of sprinkling it strait onto head it works best if palm pressed onto sprinkler piece then container turned upside down which leaves a v.fine layer on hand which can be pressed exactly where needed then use the locking mist (let this dry & repeat to build up thickness)

tried it with normal hair spray & it helps but in no was holds it like the locking mist - even stands up to rain when the locking mist is used!