new to this forum/questions/comments/concerns

Hey guys,

Im 20yr old student of physics. I have been losing hair since 17-18ish and currently I am..uh...very "balding" lol. I am interested in transplant but I have two questions for the forum (I have read alot of the forums and other websites).

1)First What is the best age for a transplant or when do you get ur transplant(s) (possible answer when balding has more or less stop)?

2)How did everyone pay for the transplant and how much did it cost?

I am a student and prob wont have a real job for a while and maybe for long time if I decide to goto grad school...=/ =)

Also I think my hair has generally loss quality. It just doesnt feel right. Any sugestions on diet, vitamins etc etc. I already went to a doc and did blood tests and nothing there..sadly

thx in advance

Hey guys,

Im 20yr old student of physics. I have been losing hair since 17-18ish and currently I am..uh...very "balding" lol. I am interested in transplant but I have two questions for the forum (I have read alot of the forums and other websites).

1)First What is the best age for a transplant or when do you get ur transplant(s) (possible answer when balding has more or less stop)?

2)How did everyone pay for the transplant and how much did it cost?

I am a student and prob wont have a real job for a while and maybe for long time if I decide to goto grad school...=/ =)

Also I think my hair has generally loss quality. It just doesnt feel right. Any sugestions on diet, vitamins etc etc. I already went to a doc and did blood tests and nothing there..sadly

thx in advance

For starters, at your age, I'd recommend you try Propecia (finasteride) to halt further loss. It's the only thing proven to stop hair loss and blocks 70% of the DHT (causes hair loss) which is attacking your "male-pattern-baldness" susceptible hair. Also, you may want to start a good hair and scalp care regimen. Search for threads on Nioxin and Nizoral for starters.

There's no real answer to your first question. Everyone's loss is different taking place in different ways and at different ages. Most people, myself included, would advise you not to consider it at your age. It's best to wait until a sure pattern of loss is evident to best devise a plan of attack for the future. I started losing my hair at age 23 but didn't get my first hair transplant until age 38. I wish Propecia would have been available then or known to me.....might have saved me from having a hair transplant. Another thing, if you transplant hair around existing hair, shock loss is a concern..............some of your native hair may or may not return.

As far as cost goes it varies. Usually you'll get a discount if you get more than 2000 grafts. I'd say a good average for you on a per graft basis would be between $3 & $5 per graft.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

J- being a 20 year old physics student should help you deal with this logically. At 20, it is impossible to forecast your hairloss, which leaves the question of a finite donor source coupled with an unknown variable-- your future hairloss. I would follow hairbanks suggestion and try propecia and continue to do research on several doctors and in general, put your HT on the back-burner for a while. You should check out the Norwood scale just to see your type now, and check your type six months to a year from now in order to determine how quickly you are progressing. The good news is you found this site, which will help immensely. I spent most of 2 years poking around before I made my move, so you are not alone there.

As far as paying for a HT, I feel cosmetic surgery should be done at a time in your life when you can comfortably sign on for 15 to 30,000 worth of surgery, but each of us differ in our approach. For myself, I refused to put my family's future in jeopardy over my hair. You have much to think about and digest, so welcome to the forum and I hope some of this helps out.

Go Cubs!

6721 transplanted grafts

13,906 hairs

Performed by Dr. Ron Shapiro

Dr. Ron Shapiro and Dr. Paul Shapiro are members of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

thanks for the responses guys,

im very skeptical of propecia and worried about side effects. The fact that side facts can occur esp in women is uh troubling. Also my doctor basically said rogaine and propecia is crap that maybe you will get small peach fuzz and it will be expensive peach fuzz. I dont really know.

In regards of my hair loss, its the classic male pattern baldness. Im very bald in my vertex area and not as bad in the front.

Any good links about Nioxin and Nizoral? I have found that my quality of tmy hair has degraded i think...

Uh, your doctor knows very little about propecia and Rogaine.

1) They are not expensive. $5 a month for 5% Rogain from Costco. $20 a month for Proscar(larger dose of same ingredient in Propecia) split into quarters.

2) The main purpose of both of these drugs is to MAINTAIN existing hair not regrow new hair. If it grows some peach fuzz that's probably a good thing, because it is also stopping your existing hair from falling out.

2700 Total Grafts w/ Keene 9/28/05

663 one's = 663

1116 two's = 2232

721 three's = 2163

200 four's = 800

Hair Count = 5858

1000 Total Grafts w/Keene 2/08/07

Mostly combined FU's for 2600+ hairs

My Photo Album

See me at Dr. Keene's Gallery