Laser

Michaelovesync,

There are a few threads over in "Open Hair Loss Topics" about this if you want to read what has been discussed.

Toad

Originally a Norwood 3 -- Now?

1/4 proscar daily started 9/01/2005

1791 FUs - Dr. Lehr - Dec. 2006.

1300 FUs - Dr. Brad Limmer - Jan. 2009.

• Administrators

Michaellovesnyc,

Thanks for presenting this information. I have been getting notices about this FDA approval from a number of groups that manufacture and market low light laser therapy as a hair loss treatment.

Some of these companies have been aggressively promoting the use of the multiple diode hooded devises in various hair transplant clinics. Some physicians such as Dr. Alan Bauman, Dr. Scott Williams and Dr. Bob Leonard have been using such clinical low light laser devises in their clinics for well over a year. They believe that such treatment can accelerate both healing and hair growth after hair transplant surgery. It also provides a treatment option for women with diffuse hair loss who are not candidates for Propecia.

I have been gathering information about low light Laser Therapy (LLLT) for over a year now and will be presenting information on this topic in the non surgical treatments sections of our sites. In general my sense is that LLLT may be about as effective as Rogaine (minoxidil) in regrowing and thickening hair. But LLLT may have an advantage in accelerating the healing process after surgery.

Laser therapy has been used for many years in treatments intended to accelerate healing for other aliments.

According to a press release from Lexington International, the makers of the Laser Hair Max -

"For the FDA submission, Lexington conducted an extensive clinical study in four different locations around The United States. The study concluded that 93% of the participants (ages 30-60) using the HairMax LaserComb had an increase in the number of terminal (thick) hairs. The average number of terminal hairs per square centimeter increased by 19 hairs/cm?‚?? over a six-month period. During the study, there were not any reports of serious adverse events. The number and types of adverse events were similar in both the active and placebo groups.

Lexington's clinical study demonstrating the efficacy of the HairMax LaserComb in females is concluding and we will be submitting the data to the FDA shortly."

I expect we will all be hearing much more about LLLT in the coming months and years since it will be heavily promoted. Medical Hair Restoration (MHR) sees big $$$ in using LLLT as a lead generator and will be marketing such treatments heavily.

MHR realizes that people who will not respond to their hair transplant marketing may be much more responsive and willing to visit their offices for LLLT. MHR certainly knows marketing. Thus after a patient/client pays hundreds and even thousands of dollars for the LLLT treatment in their office they may warm up (pun intended) to finally doing a hair transplant.

On MHR's website it describes LLLT as ??“ "Low level laser therapy (LLLT) works by increasing blood flow to the scalp and hair follicles, encouraging hair growth. The unique laser light penetrates into the scalp tissue where it stimulates the micro-circulation, improves cellular metabolism, and protein synthesis. Furthermore, European studies establish that LLLT increases blood and lymph circulation at the hair roots, decreases inflammation, and energizes follicular cells causing hair to grow thicker and fuller."

According to Dr. Matt Leavitt "Chief Medical Advisor to Lexington" -

"The HairMax LaserComb is a method of treatment that can be of great help to men of all ages suffering from hair loss. I am impressed with the protocol and results from the clinical trials that Lexington has conducted. With the FDA clearing the HairMax LaserComb as a medical device, it offers an attractive option for hair growth for medical practitioners. We can now deliver a new modality to our patients and achieve strong user satisfaction".

I look forward to hearing what actual LLLT patients have to say about the effectiveness of this treatment and its costs. Based on comments from users posted on this forum, the actual users seem to be less excited about the HairMax Laser than its promoters and the FDA.

As Toad pointed out, there are interesting comments about the Hair Max Laser that were posted previously on this forum visit FDA approves HairMax Laser in the Open Hair Loss Topics forum.

Whether or not the the one diode Hair Max Laser hand held comb or the hooded clinical device with over 100 diodes works for the patient, I expect they will work very well at growing revenue for those clinics who market them.

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.