Dead Hair follicles?

Trips

Hi guys,

I have been experiencing alot of hair loss and recently (1.5months ago) began hair treatment comprising of Proscar and Minoxidil. I have been told that all the hair im loosing or lost will regrow the thing is how can I tell if the hair thats still falling from my head has come from a dead follicle?

Will a hair produced from a near dead follicle be thinner and lighter than a healthy one? I 'think' the hair falling out now is getting thinner than before i started. I hope this is a good sign and not my imagination.

Tim.

Tough question...................I don't have a definitive answer for you. The shed induced by Proscar and/or Minox comes from kicking MPB hair into a "resting phase". Through the blocking of DHT, when the hair grows back it should have regenerated somewhat into healthier hair. The hair that has been knocked out do the the Proscar/Minox should come back after its resting (catagen) phase anywhere from 6 weeks to 2 months or so.

I doubt there's any way to tell the difference from a hair that is terminal (not coming back) versus one which is just entering its resting phase. Hang in there...............it can take anywhere from 6 months to a year to see results from your new regimen.

Hairbank

1st HT 1-18-05 - 1200 FUT's

2nd HT 2-15-06 - 3886 FUT's Dr. Wong

3rd HT 4-24-08 - 2415 FUT's Dr. Wong

GRAND TOTAL: 7501 GRAFTS

current regimen: 1.25mg finasteride every other day

My Hair Loss Weblog

Disclaimer: I'm not a Doctor (and have never played one on TV ;) ) and have no medical training. Any information I share here is in an effort to help those who don't like hair loss.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice.

On another note I still have alot of hair "raining" from my head at the moment. basically whenever i touch my hair i find some on my hand. The thing is, I still have a high number of hair falling out however I do have a number of small hairs growing on my hair line. Im guessing Proscar and/or minox are working due to the small hairs however experiencing shedding at the same time?

Is this possible?!?!!??!