Time for new follicle emergence

For Drs. or veterans with HTs post 1 year

This may be an obviously sophmore question, but: the general formula for follicle growth appears to be that around 4 months one sees the beginning of decent progress. Afterwards, one gets approximately month for month growth - for example, 70% after 7 months. Does that mean around the 7th month, approximately 30% of the transplants have not yet emerged? Or, all follicles have emerged, however 30% are not long enough to make a difference to one's appearence?

This is not an academic question. I just passed the 6-month mark and am curious if I have approximately 40% more follicles that have not broken through as yet. That is what I hope is the answer.

Thanks,

Garyr

For Drs. or veterans with HTs post 1 year

This may be an obviously sophmore question, but: the general formula for follicle growth appears to be that around 4 months one sees the beginning of decent progress. Afterwards, one gets approximately month for month growth - for example, 70% after 7 months. Does that mean around the 7th month, approximately 30% of the transplants have not yet emerged? Or, all follicles have emerged, however 30% are not long enough to make a difference to one's appearence?

This is not an academic question. I just passed the 6-month mark and am curious if I have approximately 40% more follicles that have not broken through as yet. That is what I hope is the answer.

Thanks,

Garyr

garyr,

everyone is different. People go through various stages. Usually growth starts after 3 months. And some are complete after 7 months. With others, it can take almost a year for full growth.

This all depends on resting cycles and your own healing abilities.

At 6 months you may still have 40% or 20%. Also, possibly none left.

HairBeThere

So, 'gtowth' is the actual emerging of the hairs popping through the skin and not just the appearence of growth (thickening, lengthening) -is that right?

garyr

I think the transplanted hairs in a specific area will all emerge around the same general time, more or less.

What happens is that these hairs mature and get thicker, which means more coverage... the hairs cover up more bald area. Hair shaft diameter is a huge factor in coverage... Wispy hair does not cover as well as coarse hair does. That's what people refer to, when they talk about 50%, 60%, 70% etc... how mature the hairs are. Immature hairs don't cover very well.

If you are already many months out of surgery, and you already have some growth, but there are gaps in between hairs, it's unlikely that new hairs are going to show up to fill that area in. But hopefully, whatever hairs you do have, will cover better with time.

The crown may sometimes grow in slower than the frontal hairline, and scarred recipient areas will grow in slower than virgin recipient areas. But I doubt that the hairs in any one area will grow in at different times. It will probably all show up around the same general time, more or less.

I asked Dr. Jones if 5 months was too early. I had small repair work done. I asked him if he could see the lateral slit scar even if no hair was present. He said he could with his magnifying glasses. My experience was always 3 or 4 months for growth. I did take over a year to really thicken. This last ht is sprouting at 8 months due to scarred area.

Arfy wrote:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> I think the transplanted hairs in a specific area will all emerge around the same general time, more or less.

What happens is that these hairs mature and get thicker, which means more coverage... the hairs cover up more bald area. Hair shaft diameter is a huge factor in coverage... Wispy hair does not cover as well as coarse hair does. That's what people refer to, when they talk about 50%, 60%, 70% etc... how mature the hairs are.

This was part of a letter I received from my doctor:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> You are at the 6 month post - op stage now, and will begin to experience the majority of your growth from now until the 12 month mark. Generally, at this time, patients will experience about 60% growth. This is an exciting time for you, as you will begin to see what the final result will be.

I was naive to think that by 'growth' was meant new hairs will continue to grow out or emerge through the skin over a year - instead - all will emerge together and the new follicles will grow longer/thicken/mature over a year.

I do see what the outline of the final results will look like at this point. I unfortunately think 1 pass of 3600 may not be quite enough for what I was hoping to achieve. Anyway, I have several months to obsess before I consider booking #2, so thanks for the insights.

garyr