Girlfriends' fingers through your new HT...

Serious question here fellas... my girl loves to run her fingers through my hair (what i have left) when we are "together" how long post op until it is safe, or feels some what normal for her to do this? is 9 days ok or will she rip my grafts out? also, i understand after a Ht the newly placed hairs are pointy. any input is appreciated

Serious question here fellas... my girl loves to run her fingers through my hair (what i have left) when we are "together" how long post op until it is safe, or feels some what normal for her to do this? is 9 days ok or will she rip my grafts out? also, i understand after a Ht the newly placed hairs are pointy. any input is appreciated

I'm 10 days post-op, and my wife wouldn't touch my head with a 10 foot pole icon_smile.gif The scabs aren't terribly inviting.

But my head is irresistible to me ... I keep lightly feeling the new hair and the scabs (I'm always tempted to pick those but have to restrain myself)

The back of my head (donor area) is still a bit sore, so I wouldn't enjoy anybody playing with that area very much myself.

From what I was told by my clinic, after 2-3 days, the follicle is almost certainly set. One start regular showers etc afer 7 days. Your scabs will begin to fall off then and so will the new hair. The follicle will remain intact though and will resume growth after a couple of months.

Of course, check with your Doctor for confirmation.

2-day session with Dr. Keene.

1's: 297; 2's: 1186; 3's: 1382; 4's: 999

Total grafts : 3864

Averaging 2.85 hairs/graft. Total hairs: ~11000.

I would give it 10 days to be certain all grafts are set. No sense in hurting your investment.

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

Is a folicle a hair root?

Or they are different?

You know if you wax or pluck hairs on your body - new hairs will grow back, what happens if you pluck a transplanted hair? does that mean its gone for good? or the folicle will still remain and can make another hair?

are transplanted hairs easier to pull out etc? are they more fragile?? do you have to be extra careful with them?

For the most part, after 10 days the hair is hair.. I wouldn't pull on it but once it grows in , it will be like your original hair after it cycles through the growth stages

The follicle would be the whole bottom I believe .

JOBI

1417 FUT - Dr. True

1476 FUT - Dr. True

2124 FUT - Dr. True

604 FUE - Dr. True

My views are based on my personal experiences, research and objective observations. I am not a doctor.

Total - 5621 FU's uncut!

The graft should remain but what is pulled out would be the actual hair shaft with its attached root. The graft is the remaining tissue that contains the structure responsible for providing future hairs.

At 9 days post op the shafts will not be long enough to pull on. She would need to tug or pluck the stubble between her finger nails. Even then removing the shaft will not dislodge the graft. I don't think you need to worry. Still you will have just had surgery in that area. She needs to gentle while you heal (for your comfort if nothing else).

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

my girl doenst know about my recent HT. Ill be 8 days post op when i see her. I was thinking about buzzing my enitre head #6, think it will blend in enough, as long as the scabs are gone, to look normal? Redness is not there at all right now and im at 5 days, but it does appear dry skin/flakes might be a problem

morenewhair1,

People look "normal" at different times, but I think you just have to do what you feel works best for you to conceal your hair transplant. The fact that you are not (or not yet) experiencing any postoperative redness is working to your favor.

I would still suggest waiting until day 10 to shave your head, but if you do it sooner, be extremely careful with the grafts.

Bill

Good to hear that the pinkness is a non-issue. In my mind, that is the biggest obstacle. Scalp flaking is not uncommon, but it is not exactly a HT tell sign to the average person.

Buzzing your head might improve the uniformity of the hairs. Obviously you can cut hair shorter, but you can't cut it longer. You might want to buzz it down grade by grade, starting a bit longer, so you can determine the optimal length to balance the recipient area while still covering the donor incision.

Notice: I am an employee of Dr. Paul Rose who is recommended on this community. I am not a doctor. My opinions are not necessarily those of Dr. Rose. My advice is not medical advice.

Dr. Rose is a member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thehairlosscure..

So the question is, can i pull off hiding my procedure from her if i dont see her till day 8. buzz my recipient and rest of head to match the graphs, and have minimal redness?

Morenewhair:

I understand how you feel. I am nuts about a guy and have known him and dated him (on and off) for SIX years, but I just canceled flying out to see him next weekend b/c I feel--well--embarrassed about my recent HT. He probably couldn't care less any way, but I care, so that affects it all. I did tell him that I had a "head procedure" and he figured out what I meant, and he really didn't care, but he respected the fact that I am embarrassed. So, maybe, if you have been with your gf for a while and if she likes-like or loves you, she will be okay with it. Hope that helps a bit.

About when the scabs may come off: I just heard back from Dr. E., and he mentioned that it can take up to 3 weeks for the scabs to come off. For me, even though I have some hair to hide the the scalp, the scabs show through clearly.

For what it is worth: I hear you 'cause I am in the same boat. icon_wink.gif

I had 1750 grafts to the front third, my current hair is a grown out buzz that covers all the scabs. Ive been with her three months. Im now 6 days post op and am thinking about buzzing it all to a number 6 clipper?