Great experience with Dr. Keene in Arizona

• Administrators

Note - This message was recopied by Pat the editor from the original discussion group to this vastly improved online community.

The name of orginal poster and the date posted are listed below:

Date: 2/4/01

Time: 6:14:36 PM

Remote Name: 12.72.156.24

Comments

I had a great experience in Arizona with Dr. Keene. She was very genuine and took plenty of time with me. Very consciencious.

null

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• Administrators

Note - This message was recopied by Pat the editor from the original discussion group to this vastly improved online community.

The name of orginal poster and the date posted are listed below:

Date: 2/4/01

Time: 6:14:36 PM

Remote Name: 12.72.156.24

Comments

I had a great experience in Arizona with Dr. Keene. She was very genuine and took plenty of time with me. Very consciencious.

null

Never Forget - It's what radiates from within, not from your skin, that really matters!

My Hair Loss Blog

Sharing is what keeps this community vital. Please join in. To learn how I restored my hair and started this community, click here.

Follow our Community on Twitter.

• 5 weeks later...

I also had my surgery done by Dr. Keene in Tucson, and I am happy to say that it was an excellent experience. While I am only 6 weeks post-surgery at this time and therefore too early to report any results, if anyone has any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

• 2 months later...

i'm a 47 year old guy who was probably a class 4-5 on the baldness scale. i have always been a very tough consumer.....i expect to get what i pay for and be treated fairly. so i don't hesitate to raise hell when called for, but by the same token i also feel the responsibility to give praise when i am done right. so i will continue to post here with that in mind. as for my HT experience.... so far, so good. i'm now 3 days post-op after my 2100-plus graft procedure with dr. keene. i did a lot of investigation before choosing my surgeon and was not at all against traveling to make sure i got a good surgeon, what with all the bad things that apparenty still happen to HT patients even these days. fortunately via this web site, i found the right one for me, and right in my backyard here in AZ! (thanks to pat for this website that i feel is the top resource by far for HT candidates.) i'm happy to say that all that i learned about dr. keene beforehand has been certainly true for me. i was drawn to choose her for a number or reasons....she does all follicular units, can do large sessions (i did not want to undergo two sessions to get my 2,000), she and her nurse educator do the consult, her background as a general surgeon (i know that other type docs can suture just fine, but she is known for excellent closures, i.e. small scar), her reputation for being very hands on and running a very tight ship, her close association with dr. shapiro in milwaukee. but for me the best thing was her degree of involvement and high integrity. i know there are many doctors out there who are more $ oriented than anything else. after actually having my surgery now, i really do believe she strives to do the best possible for her patients. she calls herself a perfectionist and it was evident. i knew she would be excising my strip, suturing it closed, making graft incisions, and then i thought the staff would be placing the grafts. Not so! she was right there with one main asst. placing my grafts. at the end of that long day she placed the very last graft herself. to me it meant quality control and a lot of direct oversight which was more than i even had expected. also, during the time between my consult and having the surgery, i had lots of technical questions as i wanted to understand all that i could. i virtually bombarded her with email questions and she answered all of them. i had expected one of her staff to answer, but she personally answered every email and very timely. that was very useful and helpful. and for me it was confirmation that she indeed was very involved and hands on. and...on top of all that...even though HT is not inexpensive, her pricing is very competitive compared to others. i will continue to post on my progress when there is something to tell about.

I am now at 17 weeks post-surgery and all the hair is regrowing. I can personally confirm everything that jeff stated about Dr. Keene, and I'll be going back to her if I decide to have another surgery.

• 2 weeks later...

in terms of swelling, i had a bit on the forehead and then around the bridge of my nose and my left cheek a little. but i also even had a little discoloration (bruising) around my eyes. the swelling went away very quickly but the bruising has been slower to fade , of course. really important to keep your head elevated when you sleep for several days or better for a week after if you're prone to swell and bruise like i did. if you are thinking of having HT, i'd try to have 2 weeks off work in if you want to go "stealth" and not tell anyone in case you bruise like i did. the small scabs are for the most part gone. now waiting for the little hair shafts to shed as the follicles go to sleep for a few months. for now, they all seem to be there still. i got 2189 grafts on Nov. 7. in the following days, i found a total of 4 grafts that had fallen out. not bad, eh? my head is still a bit sore, but thats normal. guess you need to expect that after you pay a surgeon make 2,000 little slits in your scalp! interesting side note... Gary and i compared our post-surgery graft counts and we both had almost exactly the same mix of FU's ...that is, we both had about 30% 1-hair units, 50% 2-hair, 17% 3-hair, and just 3-4 % 4-hair FU's. apparently, this mix is pretty constant in humans, or at least our particular ethnicity. i didn't have my hairline lowered, but did recover some of my receded temporal areas. the remnants of my hairline was in a good place. its just all filled in and not patchy now. got a "thin" covearge of my formerly bald crown of about 700 FU's. on my one week followup at dr. keene's office for suture removal (she uses internal dissolvable suture and an external suture to remove a week after), i found out they had a guy coming down from Alaska for a HT this week. Wow! so far, i'm a happy guy about the whole thing, and happy i chose her. she said i could get the grafts to start growing sooner if i used rogaine on them, but i'll just wait for them. i'm already on propecia. i probably won't have much to say about my progress for a while as i'm in that waiting time now.