Dear readers

. . . Another query to baffle and amuse. I can find no reference to atrophy Pathology: - A wasting or decrease in size of a body organ, tissue, or part - when doing a search - but which seems to be a fundamental issue with all MPB follicles and the subsequent way our hair appears to become finer through time. I'm trying to establish whether the hair shaft diameter, 'strip excised' from the usual donor area 'improves' or indeed continues to deteriorate in quality as a function of being implanted in what was an MPB susceptible area of the scalp.

The reason I ask is that, over the last 25 years of hair thinning, the wavy 'donor' hair that I would have had in 1980 has gradually become finer and somewhat slower growing through time.

Although still suitable for an FU procedure a few weeks ago, I'm trying to envisage whether this biological slow-down will continue - for life? My guess would be that the genetic signature in each follicle will remain and thus ensure that the hair growth characteristics 'perform' in their predetermined way - with a gradually decelerating growth cycle over the decades and a tendency towards a slightly sparser coverage.

Regards

Dear readers

. . . Another query to baffle and amuse. I can find no reference to atrophy Pathology: - A wasting or decrease in size of a body organ, tissue, or part - when doing a search - but which seems to be a fundamental issue with all MPB follicles and the subsequent way our hair appears to become finer through time. I'm trying to establish whether the hair shaft diameter, 'strip excised' from the usual donor area 'improves' or indeed continues to deteriorate in quality as a function of being implanted in what was an MPB susceptible area of the scalp.

The reason I ask is that, over the last 25 years of hair thinning, the wavy 'donor' hair that I would have had in 1980 has gradually become finer and somewhat slower growing through time.

Although still suitable for an FU procedure a few weeks ago, I'm trying to envisage whether this biological slow-down will continue - for life? My guess would be that the genetic signature in each follicle will remain and thus ensure that the hair growth characteristics 'perform' in their predetermined way - with a gradually decelerating growth cycle over the decades and a tendency towards a slightly sparser coverage.

Regards

Yes, the donor area can be susceptible to hair loss too. Most of the doctors claim that your donor area is permanent and will last a lifetime, however this is often not true. Look at the donor area on anyone over 40 or 50 years old and you will see many guys have thinned back there (if they had hair loss to begin with). It is definitely a concern if you have aggressive hair loss.

I had aggressive hair loss and am essentially a Norwood 6 (with a tranplant). I take Finasteride to try to retain my donor area from miniaturizing any further. The donor scars are already see-through and I don't want it to get any worse. It's not that unusual for guys like me to take Finasteride in order to retain as much hair as possible. There is a HUGE difference between the Norwood levels, when it comes to grafting requirements and coverage. I am a 6 who is trying not to become a 7. I advise guys to think defensively and do what they can to keep as much "original" hair as possible. If you are a Norwood 3, try not to let yourself get to Norwood 4, and so on.