second skin -- Limmer experience

Kourion

First message

This is my first message although I have been following the postings with great interest. I will try to post this now and if it works I will continue on with my experience.

First message

This is my first message although I have been following the postings with great interest. I will try to post this now and if it works I will continue on with my experience.

1) Second skin.

To my complete amazement, I have seen nothing about using 2nd skin (occlusive dressing) imeediately post-op. It is simply phenomenal!

I had 1500 grafts with Limmer in San Antonio, TX on July 29, 2003 (almost a week ago). Dr. Limmer used this dressing on me which I removed on August 1. No scabs, no bleeding of any sort, no swelling, no nothing. By then, my grafts were like stubble but with no issues of healing. I went out yesterday with my family for dinner and I think I looked pretty good. There was no need to wear a hat ot to cover my grafts.

I wonder why this 2nd skin approach is not described in this forum?

2) Limmer experience.

The procedure was fine, but it should be noted that it was carried out almost entirely by the assistant (Diane). None of the doctors Limmer (father or son) touched me other than excising the strip; did not create any recipient holes, did not cut any grafts, did not position any grafts; did not even oversee the final result. The overall process was as described with no significant discomfort. This lady did a great job with placement and, although way too early in the game, I am thrilled with the results and the lack of problems.

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have about either 1 or 2 above.

Dr. Limmer also did the second skin dressing for me. WONDERFUL! I had mine done 6 months ago. Almost no scabbing at all. I had front temporal region (highly noticeable area) and by day 7 my dating life had resumed with no detection. The second skin is basically a dressing filled with ointment that keeps the scalp constantly lubricated such that no scabs can form. It amazes me that others have not joined in on this process!

More about the Limmer experience.

Hi Jotronic. In repsonse to your question, I was not examined (or even looked at) by the physicians because one of them had to leave by noon, and the other one had a conference call.

I will emphasize that I have been pleased this far with the results, as I think that the young lady who did the transplanting did an excellent job. I haven't had anything that I would call complication (scabbing, redness, swelling, excessive pain anywhere).

I am (was?) a Norwood 6 and my grafts are in a very visible area in the front, yet I have been fully in public 5 days after the process. All you see is hairs-stubble growing already pretty nicely. I know that it is supposed to fall out, but so far (it's been a full wk) the grafts are growing! Incidentally, I am of Mediterranean decent (Greek) with dark, wavy/curly, and thick hair shafts.

My only negative comments relate to the following:

1) I wish I'd had a little more supervision of the process by Limmer. The physycian drew the hairline with my wife's input and cut the strip. Both father and son are quite gragarious and appear to be nice, but a little more hands-on would be appreciated. The lady who did it is clearly an outstanding technician with vast experience. I would ask for her again.

2) The chair was uncomfortable. It was also facing the corridor and with the open door and various people (e.g., people fixing a window next door) walking by and checking me out, I felt a tad uncomfortable.

3) The room is Spartan in decoration and feel. No TV, no movies, not even reading because it was uncomfortable holding up a book/magazine over my head during the process.

My positive comments:

1) Second skin. What a boon to instantaneous healing! More people should use something like this. Limmer needs to be congratulated for using it.

2) Nice people in the office. This is definitely a Christian office, and although I am an Orthodox Christian myself, they go a little overboard with the numerous bibles everywhere, bible sayings, "open letters" from Jesus to "you", etc. Had I not been a Christian myself, I do not think that I'd enjoy it.

3) Price. The total price is significantly lower than almost everything else that I've read.

4) Healing process. This has truly been phenomenal. If there is interest I can try to post pictures (if I can figure it out).

In summary, my overall experience with the procedure has been much better than originally anticipated. The healing process is a delight. If I did 1500 more grafts, I would go back to the Limmer office and request Diane to be my person.

Thanks

K